Gen Chem rate law #66 2016 Chad vs Destroyer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted738762

I remember chad saying in one his videos that we can include the intermediate in the rate law for a pre-health exam and it isn't a big deal if its part of the slow step, then I came across a problem in destoyer question # 66 2016 DAT where you had to use an equilibrium expression of the fast reaction to remove the intermediate and include the reactants of the fast reaction in the rate law by substituting them in for the intermediate.

So can we not list intermediates in the rate law for the DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I remember chad saying in one his videos that we can include the intermediate in the rate law for a pre-health exam and it isn't a big deal if its part of the slow step, then I came across a problem in destoyer question # 66 2016 DAT where you had to use an equilibrium expression of the fast reaction to remove the intermediate and include the reactants of the fast reaction in the rate law by substituting them in for the intermediate.

So can we not list intermediates in the rate law for the DAT?
The overall rate law should NOT contain intermediates. Intermediates are transient species with a very finite existence seen along a reaction pathway. Consult any General text such as Zumdahl, Ebbing, Brown and LeMay, or Chang for more rate law examples. All that was actually done in the problem in DESTROYER was simple substitution for the intermediate from equilibrium steps.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

The overall rate law should NOT contain intermediates. Intermediates are transient species with a very finite existence seen along a reaction pathway. Consult any General text such as Zumdahl, Ebbing, Brown and LeMay, or Chang for more rate law examples. All that was actually done in the problem in DESTROYER was simple substitution for the intermediate from equilibrium steps.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano
It's simple yes, I just remember chad saying you can include intermediates on the pre-health exam although it's wrong in the official sense. I got it wrong as you can tell because I followed Chad's advice. Thanks though.