Gen Chem Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikeshp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My high school had an agreement with my university that if I get a certain grade in certain courses, I would get college credit for those courses. This is how I got credit for Gen Chem. Second Semester Gen Chem, I had a good grade going into the exam, didn't care at all about the exam, took the multiple choice part of the test and walked out, got a 50, and ended up with a 92, which was a B in high school.

On my college transcript, it just lists my high school name and says I have 8 credit hours from them, but does not list general chemistry at all. What should I do? They told me to get my high school to send me transcript to AMCAS and each medical school, but I called them and they said they don't need high school transcripts.

Also, on my high school transcript, it is listed as a 92, but will this count as an A according to AMCAS? 92 was a B in my high school.

Finally, would it be possible for me to just kind of send a note with my transcript to each university and AMCAS that the 8 credit hours on my transcript is for general chemistry?

Sorry for the long post, thanks a lot for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Nevermind, after calling a few schools, I have found out that most of them will accept upper level courses as substitute, since I am ahead in the curriculum, I guess that means no fun electives for me. do you think biochemical approach to physical chemistry would count as an inorganic chem requirement?

retake it with the same professors and Ace it

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you mean retake it with the same professors? i took it in high school.

also, i figure i will just take physical chem and inorganic chem, but it will be the biochemical approach to physical chem, i hope that will count.

would schools care if i took some of these courses when i studied abroad?

well as i said, my gen chem from high school, which is kind of like transfer, but from a high school course, i got a 92 on, which is a B in high school, but would AMCAS calculate that as an A? will med schools ask for my high school transcript to see the grade, because gen chem isn't even technically listed on my college transcript.

or since i plan on taking upper level chem courses, can i just not worry about my gen chem grade, since it is technically a high school course?

Your high school can't give our grades for pre-reqs. You need to get a transcript from the college, the grade will be on there. AMCA's will only take credits on an accredited [college transcript. I took a ton a classes in high school that worked the same way, except it sounds fishy that they will only give you credit if you get a certain grade.
I'd have to say that is downright unfair in a prereq. If that is the case, I'd say the class is probably pass/fail and you need to retake it.
Also, you need to make sure the class counts for real gen chem, not the dumbed down version.

On my transcript, it only lists my high school and 8 credit hours. on my academic record, gen chem is there, but under grade, it says transfer. however, amcas doesn't accept grades from high school, and i dont feel like retaking gen chem, so i am just going to take some upper levels to try and make up for it.

also, i dont want to dig too deep to try and get my grades in gen chem to count, since i made a B second semester (92), only because i only took half of the exam, and i dont want to hurt my bcpm gpa (right now, its at a 4.0, want to keep it there as long as possible, so i would rather take a shot at some upper levels)

so when i send my application in, i will just email each school i apply to and tell them that the 8 hours on my transcript are for general chemistry, as well as letting them know that i have some upper levels to make up for it.

anything wrong with this?

I know a lot of people have offered me advice on this, and I greatly appreciate it, but could someone possibly tell me if everything in my last post would work out?

Yeah I know for a fact I got real course credit, since when I open up my academic record, it lists CH 101 and 102 + labs, which are the classes i would have taken if i had not exempted. thanks for the help. now im off to find good replacements, i have plenty of courses that satisfy, but labs aren't offered with them.

With the AP Bio credit, I guess my school is different, or it might be because I got a 5, not sure, but I get credit for Bio 110 and Bio 111, which is the biology sequence I would take if i were to retake it anyways, so I guess i need to supplement that with some other course.

and does high school transfer gen chem work the same way as AP credit gen chem? the only difference is that I didn't have to take the AP test, just had to make an A or a B in the course, and it only counts at two universities in my state (both universities sent representatives to my school, sat in on class, looked at the curriculum, and determined that it is equivalent to the general chemistry course at their universities)