Gen Eds at Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rick Harrison

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am currently a junior at a 4-year institution. I was looking into taking a few business courses my senior year that could possibly help me start my own practice one day. The only problem I have is that I still have 4 gen eds remaining because some of my classes didn't transfer properly when I transferred schools. I would have to take around 18 credit hours a semester for my three remaining semesters in order to take all of the classes I want to complete, which sounds awful. I looked into taking 2 gen ed courses over the summer, but a lot of the summer classes at my university are 4-week classes. It would be awful to try and balance those short classes with research and work. I looked into attending the community college in my hometown and they offer 8-week gen ed courses, which would be way more balanced throughout the entire summer as opposed to rushing through material in 4 weeks. I was wondering if dental schools would look down upon someone who took several gen eds at a community college? I have a 4.0 GPA and got a 25 AA on the DAT, so I hope these scores would definitely show admissions committees that I'm not taking these classes to make my application look better. I really just want to make sure I have time to take the business classes that I am interested in taking my senior year. Does anyone have any advice on what you think I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With a 4.0 GPA and 25 AA, where you take some general eds to meet requirements would be the least of my concerns. My advice? Do the bare minimum you need to graduate because you're pretty set at this point.

You may want to be sure that the courses you wish to take at a CC, will be acceptable should the credits be needed for meeting the requirements for the degree you are seeking.