Gen surg --> Head and Neck fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Salamechton

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I saw a very few old threads discussing this topic but was wondering if I could have some updated information.

Current MS4, US allopathic, applying for Gen Surg residency. I did one month of ENT, and LOVED my H&N experience. This was by far my favorite clinical experience of all. Unfortunately, I don't have the scores to match ENT, but should be able to match into a Gen Surg community program, or perhaps a low-tier academic program.

I found out that it is possible to complete a H&N fellowship with a Gen Surg background, although I would assume the program directors would strongly favor an ENT (or plastic) applicant.
However, I also learned that the H&N fellowships are among the least competitive fellowships off ENT, with multiple unfilled spots every year (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with H&N fellowships and if you knew of anyone going from Gen Surg to H&N?
How do-able is that coming from a community gen surg program? What are things that can be done to improve competitiveness for those H&N fellowships? Job prospects given non ENT background?

Thank you very much for your time and help

Good luck to everyone

Members don't see this ad.