gen surg interviews

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by moneyman2, Nov 14, 2001.

1. moneyman2

moneyman2 New Member

just wondering if anyone has interviewed for gen surgery programs yet?? if so, what questions were you asked, and what questions did you ask to find out more about the program?

2. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    While I didn't interview this year, I can tell you I was only pimped at one place (ie, what's in Ringer's Lactate, how many compartments are there in the lower leg, who was Scarpa, etc.). By far, the vast majority of interviews were questions about myself - why surgery, what I like to do in my spare time, any thoughts about a surgical specialty, what I'm looking for in a program and why did I apply to their program. No one asked about grades, USMLE scores, etc. IMHO, the point at interview is to find out whether or not you are someone they can work with for 5+ years - trying to wean out the bastards, as it were (obviously not always a successful technique).

Hope this helps and best of luck. :D

3. fourthyr

fourthyr Member
    7+ Year Member

Kimberly, Where were you pimped about Ringer's, etc...?

I'm applying this year for general...I've received similar questions ....about why surgery, what kind of surgery do you want to do, what kind of research did you do... but that's like 5 minutes, and the rest is them blabbing about the program, and you asking questions.

4. Winged Scapula

Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician

5. GTMD2Bee

GTMD2Bee Member
    10+ Year Member

Kimberly,

4th year here with an interview at umm.. that one of many surgical programs in DE. What did you think of the program? I've heard good things about the program but pimping during an interview from a community based program seems a little wierd. Thanks.

6. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician