Gen Surg on the West Coast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousjorge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year med student and I am hoping to head to the west coast (WC) for residency.

The sense I get from current 4th year applicants who are finishing up interview season is that the WC does not give as much love to applicants overall, but especially to folks applying from all the way across country.

How do I prove to WC programs that I am earnest? Are away rotations at west coast programs a MUST?

It seems as though in surgical subspecialties, doing away rotations is a no-brainer, but in general surgery the jury is out.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For whats it's worth, on my travels during interview season, a lot of the out of staters who are interviewing at Cali schools have some sort of tie to Cali (i.e. grew up there, immediate family, SO employment etc), although this was not universally the case, of course. In your case, I would say you can use that angle to say you want to come back "home" to Cali after your experience in other parts of the country....

In terms of aways, I technically did not do any being from Cali, but as an out-of stater, if you are really that interested, I would definitely do an away here so can show your face and show your stuff... Are you looking at northern or southern Cali?

Hope this helps.... :D

Thanks for the input.

I'm looking at the West Coast in general. I'd just rather spend my away rotations in another country--as this may be my last easy opportunity for a while--than at American programs, but I will do aways at WC schools if that's what it takes.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Same situation here. My concern is how high of board scores does one need to have a decent shot, especially at a decent, middle-tier california program?

If you are set on coming back to the West Coast then I recommend that you figure out what programs you are most interested in and set up 4th Year Sub-I's at those programs. If you want recommendations based on what type of program you are looking to go to, e-mail me, I'd be more than happy to help.
[email protected]

good attitude, personality and demonstration of an interest in surgery and an ability to learn is going to do more for you than having a tie to California or being a really good surfer or something.