Gen Surgery > Head and Neck Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureczar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking through the fellowship match list at the Robert Wood Johnson Gen Surg program and I noticed a few people that matched into head and neck fellowships at top notch programs such as Hopkins and MSK. (http://rwjsurgery.umdnj.edu/divisions/GenSurg/residency/graduates.html). I know that Head and Neck fellowships arent particularly competitive, but I assumed big name programs would have no problem filling their spots with ENT applicants. Is there a particular reason these programs would want to recruit gen surg over ENT?

Sorry for ignorance, no insult meant towards gen surg. Just seems like ENT is a lot better prepared for head and neck surgery.

Members don't see this ad.

They don't want Gen Surg over ENT if they can all help it, but search these boards and you'll find the myriad reasons ENT's are not going into H&N.

I was looking through the fellowship match list at the Robert Wood Johnson Gen Surg program and I noticed a few people that matched into head and neck fellowships at top notch programs such as Hopkins and MSK. (http://rwjsurgery.umdnj.edu/divisions/GenSurg/residency/graduates.html). I know that Head and Neck fellowships arent particularly competitive, but I assumed big name programs would have no problem filling their spots with ENT applicants. Is there a particular reason these programs would want to recruit gen surg over ENT?

Sorry for ignorance, no insult meant towards gen surg. Just seems like ENT is a lot better prepared for head and neck surgery.

The Hopkins and MSK head and neck fellowships are 2 of the weakest in the match. They usually don't fill or they end up with the general surgery applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Hopkins and MSK head and neck fellowships are 2 of the weakest in the match. They usually don't fill or they end up with the general surgery applicants.

Why is that? I would expect places like that to have a pretty stellar referral base for H&N.

Why is that? I would expect places like that to have a pretty stellar referral base for H&N.

Names do not equate to quality. You guys know that from residency applications.

Reasons vary. Could be lack of free flaps. Could be lack of supervision. Could be too much supervision. Too little operating. Too much administrative work. Attending does all the surgery; fellow watches. Volume too low. Lots of reasons.

Some big name institutions excel at marketing frequently more so than actual clinic care.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Last edited:
Names do not equate to quality. You skills know that from residency applications.

Reasons vary. Could be lack of free flaps. Could be lack of supervision. Could be too much supervision. Too little operating. Too much administrative work. Attending does all the surgery; fellow watches. Volume too low. Lots of reasons.

Some big name institutions excel at marketing frequently more so than actual clinic care.

Sent via Tapatalk.

No kidding. Talk to anyone recently who went to Iowa because of its reputation. Has one of the worst operating experiences for residents of which I'm aware in what's considered a higher tier program. I have a partner and a friend who both graduated from there in the last 3 years and it's amazing what they didn't do in the OR.

Jatin Shah is general surgery trained, MSK is either biased (lol) or it doesnt make a difference, after all, hes a "daddy" in H&N surgery...

When he was coming along only general surgeons did head and neck and I don't think a lot of them did fellowship, just developed an interest. I think Otos only recently got into the fray.

Last edited: