Gender diversity in SOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elpenguinoloco

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search on the role of gender in admissions decisions and whether being "underrepresented" as a male might be advantageous in Clinical Psych PhD admissions decisions. What I found was a mixed bag, with some saying that it played no role and others saying their programs actively sought out male applicants and perhaps judged them a little less harshly. One way or another, there is not much I can do about it, but I do have a related question:

One of my SOPs asks me to talk about how I would contribute to diversity at that program. Would it be legitimate to discuss gender in this context? If I did, I would relate it to my area of interest (the population I study affects 70-80% males). In my experience, I think it has been helpful at times to be able to relate a little more easily to the individuals I work with than females might. I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to mention that in my statement, or if I could make the wrong impression that way.

I only ask because otherwise, I have very little to contribute in the way of diversity, and would end up discussing the "diversity" of my research training or something.

Members don't see this ad.

It will be very hard to talk about being male as a way to increase diversity. While it may be technically true in the context of some psychology programs, it may come across poorly to many readers. My advice would be to find another way to discuss diversity in another way.

Reactions: 1 user
I only ask because otherwise, I have very little to contribute in the way of diversity, and would end up discussing the "diversity" of my research training or something.

That's the problem, and likely why they are asking the question (to see how you view/conceptualize "diversity"). If you think its equatable to "minority", that's not good and no, you probably wouldn't have alot of offer a program like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
It "might" be okay, but I wouldn't risk it. Right or wrong, I think its likely to be taboo to imply male gender contributes to diversity in higher education of any form.

I'd encourage you to think more broadly about diversity, as I'd be pretty shocked if you couldn't come up with some way (likely multiple ways) that you would contribute. We always think about the obvious aspects (e.g. race/ethnicity/gender/sexuality). but diversity is far more encompassing than that.

That said, I don't think there is anything at all wrong with writing about research and clinical contributions you plan to make to address diversity issues/health disparities/etc. In my opinion, this is the direction it has to go to be an effective statement anyways - regardless of whether one is a minority or majority member. I've seen some essays that come across as "Here is a list of demographics where I am a minority" and it always comes across incredibly flat. I imagine most people want to see some translation to action...which can perhaps (importantly) be shaped by personal characteristics, but the actions are the critical part.

Thanks for the responses. I don't think I would necessarily say that I equate "diversity" and "minority", but I would agree with Ollie that those are often the factors that first come to mind. Looks like I fell into that trap.

In looking back on the prompt, it mentions interests and experiences contributing to diversity specifically. I've had some training with research methodologies not typical for a post-BA research assistant that I can demonstrate proficiency with (through several pubs). As far as I can tell, my POI's lab does not currently make use of those techniques. Perhaps that would be a better focus?

Thanks for the responses. I don't think I would necessarily say that I equate "diversity" and "minority", but I would agree with Ollie that those are often the factors that first come to mind. Looks like I fell into that trap.

In looking back on the prompt, it mentions interests and experiences contributing to diversity specifically. I've had some training with research methodologies not typical for a post-BA research assistant that I can demonstrate proficiency with (through several pubs). As far as I can tell, my POI's lab does not currently make use of those techniques. Perhaps that would be a better focus?

You mean talk about your "diversity" of stats knowledge? That's not what they're asking for.

Even if you really are a straight, White, cisgender, able-bodied, no-chronic-medical-condition, upper-middle-class, generation !=1 college student, etc etc, you can still talk about recognizing and valuing diversity and what you have done to learn more about people around you, being an ally, etc. (assuming that you actually have done such a thing).