Gene therapy research programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turgenev13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received my MCAT scores on Tuesday so now I am trying to narrow down my list of schools to apply to. MCAT scores turned out well (35S) and I have excellent grades, 3 years research, etc. so I figure I have a pretty competitive application for most MSTP programs. I am very interested in doing research aimed at developing treatments for genetic diseases. Which schools are currently doing good research in gene therapy, etc? I appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks!

Andy Edmondson

Members don't see this ad.

My advice is to apply to all the top programs. With good interviews/LORs you will likely get into a number of them. From there you can figure out where you'd like to be.

Honestly, any of the top schools (top-10) have plenty of research going on. As a result, you will likely find what you are interested at any of them. If you want some more rankings, you can check out the USNews grad school rankings for genetics.

Thanks. I was just wondering if there were any particular programs with especially outstanding gene therapy programs (of course one of the obvious is at UPenn, but any others?)

Andy Edmondson

UPitt has a huge gene therapy program, and a really great MSTP