General biology classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegreengreatdragon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am a rising junior and a cell bio major. Weirdly, my university does not require MCB majors to take any general biology classes, and I really don't want to go out of my way to take the basic biology class most premeds take here (at this point, I will probably have learned most of what they cover in that class, and it'd be weird taking an entry-level concurrently with higher level classes).
But as a result, my transcript doesn't have any classes that explicitly say BIO. The class names are all MICRO or BMB, etc. Would that count against me when med schools look over my transcript? The head advisor at my school says it will, but I find that hard to believe when my major is in a life science field. I was wondering what you guys thought.
The other question I have is whether this will be problematic on the MCAT. My review book seems to be saying that the bio section is mostly biochem, micro, mcb, and genetics--all stuff I have taken for my major. Do I need a bio class for physiology or evolution or would I be able to learn that stuff myself (I'm mostly worried about physiology)?
I'm an English double major, so my semester schedule is already packed pretty tight, and I don't want to bother with taking any more classes than I have to.

Members don't see this ad.

General biology is a pre-req for most (if not all) medical schools

There are an increasing number of med schools that don't have specific prerequisites, but just an expectation of demonstrated competency in various subject fields. The MSAR will tell you which these are, however, it's not a great strategy to limit your applications to this limited number of schools.