General Biology Credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcmorgan96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some med schools ask for a full year of general biology, however my undergrad only offers one semester (biol 101). After that we move on to 3 "core" biology courses, then on to upper level courses.

What should I put on these secondaries that ask for a full year in the prereq section?

Members don't see this ad.

Some med schools ask for a full year of general biology, however my undergrad only offers one semester (biol 101). After that we move on to 3 "core" biology courses, then on to upper level courses.

What should I put on these secondaries that ask for a full year in the prereq section?

Mine did EXACTLY the same thing with the intro course and then the three "cores" of molecular/cell, ecology, and plant bio/physiology. I didn't have any issues with this and just usually picked one of the cores for my second semester.

Reactions: 1 user
Which med schools use the word "general" biology and offer no alternatives? I've never seen that. I've never seen a med school that won't accept a higher level version of bio (or chem, physics, etc) for their req'ts as long as there's a lab.

Please provide links, not just the names of schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which med schools use the word "general" biology and offer no alternatives? I've never seen that. I've never seen a med school that won't accept a higher level version of bio (or chem, physics, etc) for their req'ts as long as there's a lab.

Please provide links, not just the names of schools.
Dartmouth requires one year of general biology and says nothing about advanced biology being able to fulfill the credit. I e-mailed them to ask

Mine did EXACTLY the same thing with the intro course and then the three "cores" of molecular/cell, ecology, and plant bio/physiology. I didn't have any issues with this and just usually picked one of the cores for my second semester.
Awesome, thanks. That's probably what I'll do and I e-mailed the school to make sure

Some schools don't call their Bio 1 and 2, "general bio". Some call them "principals of bio". I would think the content would be the relevant issue.

How are these schools handling students who have AP credits and then are taking higher level courses with labs? From what I've seen, SOMs are fine with that, especially since there are undergrad colleges who force students to use their AP credits and move up

Last edited:
Some schools don't call their Bio 1 and 2, "general bio". Some call them "principals of bio". I would think the content would be the relevant issue.

How are these schools handling students who have AP credits and then are taking higher level courses with labs? From what I've seen, SOMs are fine with that, especially since there are undergrad colleges who force students to use their AP credits and move up
At my school BIOL 101 is called principles of bio. I'm a bio major and I placed out of this with AP credit. Dartmouth accepts AP credit, but is the first school I've run into that specifies "general biology" without saying that upper level courses will suffice. It shouldn't be an issue, as my school literally doesn't offer 2 semesters of "general biology," but I was just curious what other people have put. I think I'll just choose one of the three "core" classes that I took that come after 101 (ecology, genetics, developmental).

As for your question, I would imagine that most schools that don't accept AP credit would allow you to fulfill the req with higher level courses. However, if I find that one of my schools doesn't, then I'll have to e-mail them and ask if they would like me to retake 101 during my senior year...