General Biology Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slrplx

Still a Gopher
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A trend in secondary applications seems to be 1 year, or 6 credit hours, of general biology. I have taken one semester of general biology, 4 credit hours of a course called Gen Bio-Cell-Org, with a lab. I did not however take a second course in general biology (ie. evolution, ecology, ect). I am a biochemistry major and have taken a few upper level biology courses.

My question is, "do I need to take the second semester of general biology for schools with this typical requirement?" --- Or, will one of my upper level biology courses (physiology w/ lab, immunology, genetics, cell bio, cancer biology, biochem lab, ect) work for this requirement? I find that schools do not specify for this requirement.

Thank you for your responses in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

A trend in secondary applications seems to be 1 year, or 6 credit hours, of general biology. I have taken one semester of general biology, 4 credit hours of a course called Gen Bio-Cell-Org, with a lab. I did not however take a second course in general biology (ie. evolution, ecology, ect). I am a biochemistry major and have taken a few upper level biology courses.

My question is, "do I need to take the second semester of general biology for schools with this typical requirement?" --- Or, will one of my upper level biology courses (physiology w/ lab, immunology, genetics, cell bio, cancer biology, biochem lab, ect) work for this requirement? I find that schools do not specify for this requirement.

Thank you for your responses in advance.
Biochem major and your school doesnt require you to take both semester of gen bio?? strange.

Biochem major and your school doesnt require you to take both semester of gen bio?? strange.

They give us the option of two different tracks. Track 1 is both semesters of gen bio. Track 2 is a gen bio course with a choice of physiology and an Animal Diversity Lab.

I chose track 2 because physiology is much more intriguing to me than evolution and ecology. May have been poor planning on my part?

This is a tricky question, and I had a similar problem. After calling numerous schools, I found that it vareies widely. Its about an equal amount of schools that require a year of "general biology" compared to schools that will accept upper level bio to fulfil the requirement, at least for the ones that I called. I concluded that instead of worrying about whether or not I met the schools requirement, I should just take the 2nd semester of general bio and not have t worry anymore.