general biology vs. AMCAS biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anybody know the % of schools that require a year of "general biology" and % that just require a year of "biology".

I called UCSD and they said they didn't care what kind of biology course it was, it could be anatomy and physiology and i would be done w/ my one year.

I called UC Irvine and they said although anatomy and physiology would coutn towards my BCPM they require a year of general biology.

anybody know how common these requirements are? i'm trying to avoid lookin at every single school, although it will probably have to come down to that in the end.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I asked this a while back and didn't get an overwhelming supply of intelligible answers. I think you're best going directly to all the schools you're interesting in applying at to ask for sure, but from the research I did, it does seem like a majority will take a year of any Bio relating to cellular or physiological systems. It seems like you've found one that has a more stringent requirement (you should call them again and ask them if they count Cell Bio as a general bio course).

Either way, Good luck!

I'm kind of in the same boat...

I went through the International Baccalaureate program in high school, and as a result I received credit for the first-semester Intro Bio course. Also, I'm taking another cross-curricular course that is being counted towards the second-semester Intro Bio course. Unfortunately, my transcript will not explicitly state "BIOL 121-122 Introduction to Biology."

In the spring, I'm taking Microbiology because I had the prereq of Bio 122 waived. Of course, over the next few years I'll be taking more Bio classes as well.

Have any of you experienced similar coursework? What happened?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you end up skipping whatever would be "intro bio" but take more biology courses than the normal two consecutive years, then you should be ok.

If you end up skipping whatever would be "intro bio" but take more biology courses than the normal two consecutive years, then you should be ok.

yea, ive already taken intro to cell and molec. i'd rather not take zoology if i dont have to. and since im a kines major ive taken two semesters of anatomy and phsyiology courses. it would be sweet if those counted.

also, i wouldnt be agle to fit zoology in before my app is complete this summer. my premed advisor highly advised not being done with all pre reqs.

thanks for the info guyz/gals