General checklist for international students.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Off2Oz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm just wondering if there are any snags that you would advise me on in the whole application/moving overseas process.

Right now, I'm just starting to play with the application for grad entry...

Anyway, a list or general sequence of events you recommend/experienced would be great. Any info on the student visa, health checks (immunization, etc.), GPA (sending transcripts), MCAT scores, and so on...

Regarding MCAT scores - I realize I can send them straight from the website, but can you send the marks after you've applied? I figure I'll get the marks sometime in June, so it's no problem, but for the good of the people writing in August, I'm asking the question. =)

Is there really just a 2 school / 1 interview limit for the application??

Damn, I'm full of questions, aren't I? =)

M.

Members don't see this ad.

Off2Oz said:
Hey everyone, I'm just wondering if there are any snags that you would advise me on in the whole application/moving overseas process.
There is no "general checklist". Just fill in the forms. I can not predict what "snags" you will encounter. I found the following throrough and useful.

Hampshire, Living and Working in Australia:A Survival Handbook
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-2983096-8108848?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Veltman, Living and Working in Australia: Everything You Need to Know for Building a New Life
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-2983096-8108848?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Off2Oz said:
Right now, I'm just starting to play with the application for grad entry...

Anyway, a list or general sequence of events you recommend/experienced would be great. Any info on the student visa, health checks (immunization, etc.), GPA (sending transcripts), MCAT scores, and so on...
Don't know of any specific vaccination requirements (or recommendations) to enter from the US. Australia is generally considered a "developed" nation. If you are really concerned, you can go to the CDC site for the latest travel health advisories:
http://www.cdc.gov/travel

If you have been fully immunized on the US schedule (if you went to US grade school, high school, college -- it's required), just make sure your tetanus shot is current for your own sake (10-15 years -- some controversy). Personally, if I hadn't had chickenpox (If you are not sure, you can get a titer done as to avoid unnecessary vaccination risk.), I would get the VZV (regardless of where I live). You'll probably want to have the Hep B series at some point (they have a combined product here where you can get Hep A coverage in the same injection) -- you can do it in Australia.

Warning: The BCG is still promoted in some health systems in Australia. It has very low efficacy and a fairly high complication (usually local infection) rate. To my knowledge, it was never routinely used in the US. It will give you a positive TB test for some time which will be a pain if you return to the US, where the PPD test is used as a primary screening test for TB. If you have a postitive "TB test" in the US, you may have to undergo further workup. Serial CXRs and questionaires periodically. Not the end of the world but a waste of time. There are probably no shots you need ahead of time.

Immigration and Health Forms are downloadable at DIMA:
http://www.immi.gov.au/study/applying/index.htm
There were some interesting questions on the health form. It asked your height and weight and there was an *. "*You may be required to lose weight before entering Australia." Also, it asked for a list of all medications you have ever taken including over the counter and herbal remedies.

You really don't need to worry about any of that until you decide to accept an offer. You will be provided with information at that time.

Off2Oz said:
Regarding MCAT scores - I realize I can send them straight from the website, but can you send the marks after you've applied? I figure I'll get the marks sometime in June, so it's no problem, but for the good of the people writing in August, I'm asking the question. =)
Detailed application information is downloadable at ACER. RTFM. (It may change from cycle to cycle.) If by some rare chance, the answers to your specific questions are not there, just ring ACER and ask!
http://www.acer.edu.au/tests/university/gamsat/intro.html

Off2Oz said:
Is there really just a 2 school / 1 interview limit for the application??
Check ACER publication for the latest instructions. People have tried sending applications directly to additional schools. Rumors of varying degrees of success. Probably, depends on just what you are sending them! Can't really hurt. Australia has all sorts of intimidating "rules" but seems like nobody pays much attention.
Off2Oz said:
Damn, I'm full of questions, aren't I? =)
You know, you can use google too. As they call PBL in some circles, FOFO (**** off and find out). They wont feed you answers in Australia. I just have a few minutes as I have been home sick for a few days.

This is the easiest application process I have ever seen for just about anything. If you find it daunting, apparently, there are some educational counsellors who you can pay to manage the process. (You can Google for names/websites of these outfits if you are interested.)

you don't need to think about a student visa yet until you have a firm offer from a school and have paid the deposit, at which point they will give you a confirmation of enrolment (CoE) code. this CoE is the number you need to apply for a student visa, and you can't without one. at that point it's a question of going on the web page for DIMIA (www.immi.gov.au) and downloading their student visa application. i'm not sure what the policy is right now, but when i came to Oz to study abroad i didn't have to undergo any health checks, but then when i enrolled as a full-time student i had to get a chest x-ray and TB skin test and send the results with the appropriate form for a student visa. (for some reason i guess they think 4-month study abroad is not enough to infect the country with TB. who knows. whatever.) but, like i said, you do not need to worry about any of this until you've gotten your offer from a school.

as far as your GPA, you won't be able to translate it to ACER standards in the application form. just ignore that part; they'll do it for you. i mean, duh, go ahead and estimate it for yourself but they won't ask for that from your paperwork.

MCAT--i'm not sure, i didn't use MCAT, i did GAMSAT, so it was a question of quoting my candidate number to ACER. but i THINK (someone confirm or deny this--i know it was true for u melbourne but i don't know about the others--this might have been since melbourne GEMP starts in semester 2/july rather than february) that you can apply with a "pending" August MCAT. i'm not sure about that though. but when i applied to melbourne through ACER, they hung onto my application for months because i was international and they had to wait until all the international scores came in, particularly from August MCAT-ers. (it really ticked me off too, because that meant if i didn't qualify and they were supposed to pass my application onto my second choice of ANU, i would have missed the deadline for ANU!) since it sounds like you have your scores in hand anyway, i guess you just request that ACER be sent the official results?

transcripts--get the official sealed deal from your undergraduates and post those in the same package as your application to ACER.

and as far as the limit on application, yeah, it's not like the US undergrad or grad system where you can apply to as many schools as you want. you pick your top choices (or the top two you expect you can get into) and list those on the application to ACER, and ACER sends your application to your top choice school. then if that school doesn't like you, they will pass you on to the second choice school. the exception to this is schools that have an additional direct application for internationals--sydney did when i applied, so i used that as well as ACER. (what i did was make a general app to ACER listing melbourne and ANU, and a direct app to sydney.) choose your school carefully, because you only get to choose once and won't have the luxury of more than one acceptance. (unless you do direct apps to schools that allow that.)

riiiiiight. have i covered everything, now that i've rambled long and hard and procrastinated my thesis some more? ;) :D back to the jellyfish!

banana k said:
and as far as the limit on application, yeah, it's not like the US undergrad or grad system where you can apply to as many schools as you want. you pick your top choices (or the top two you expect you can get into) and list those on the application to ACER, and ACER sends your application to your top choice school. then if that school doesn't like you, they will pass you on to the second choice school. the exception to this is schools that have an additional direct application for internationals--sydney did when i applied, so i used that as well as ACER. (what i did was make a general app to ACER listing melbourne and ANU, and a direct app to sydney.) choose your school carefully, because you only get to choose once and won't have the luxury of more than one acceptance. (unless you do direct apps to schools that allow that.)

I'm pretty sure USyd no longer takes a direct app, but am fairly confident that Flinders still does (as the only one that does). Check both their websites.

-pitman