General chem -> o-chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if its a stupid idea to take general chem 1&2 freshman year and then o-chem the third year? How much general chem is actually involved in organic chem?
I know that organic chem on the mcat is just 25% of the BS section and then its just organic 1 concepts.
So whats your opinion on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I know, for example, my school had gen chems as a freshman course and orgo as a junior course with bio and physics as sophomore courses. Whether or not your schedule works out that way I suppose is up to you. Gen Chem is obviously fundamentals, and fundamentals carry throughout every chemistry course--including orgo. However, anything you may have forgotten will easily be recalled during the first few weeks.

My concerns: don't let gen chem get too far behind you because it is so crucial to the MCAT. Also, when I took the MCAT, orgo was probably 25% like you said; however, it was ALL org 2 and none from the first half.

Peace

Don't really use any gen-chem in o-chem except the most basic background knowledge. If you remember how to draw lewis dot structures, etc you'll be fine. Concepts that show up from gen chem, such as resonance and acidity/basicity, are re-explained in terms of o-chem over and over again in o-chem books anyway so you don't need to really worry about remembering anything about them, other than the most basic concepts (such as they exist).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm that sounds good because atm im debating wether to take o-chem next year or if I should take physics. Personally this semester I took 2 labs, + a full course load I simply am hating this semester. I mean o-chem labs are supposed to be really long and physics ones too. Not to mention I think i'll probably end up being screwed over by taking 2 labs and end up killing my gpa.

physics has a lot of assignments due....so be careful with that class and taking a huge course load.....

When I took the MCAT, three out of seven of my BS passages were Orgo and most of it was Orgo II.

I know some people only get one Orgo passage, but you can't always be sure what you'll end up with.

Hmm that sounds good because atm im debating wether to take o-chem next year or if I should take physics. Personally this semester I took 2 labs, + a full course load I simply am hating this semester. I mean o-chem labs are supposed to be really long and physics ones too. Not to mention I think i'll probably end up being screwed over by taking 2 labs and end up killing my gpa.
This is what i have to do in general physics :
http://www.middlesexcc.edu/faculty/Frederick_Montana/GeneralPhysics1Lecture/ProblemAssignments.pdf

and thats GENERAL physics, you don't want to see analytical physics load.

Yah I did, I have similar amounts of homework in general chem. Is the homework actually checked?
Yeah the homework is checked and graded.
Each assignment block is graded and regarded as a test grade in my class.
But not every Professor does that

Yeah the homework is checked and graded.
Each assignment block is graded and regarded as a test grade in my class.
But not every Professor does that

That is actually really nice. It means that there's actual motivation to do the homework.
But yah if I take o-chem and physics i'll be taking 3 classes + maybe p.e. So I think i'll be able to manage ( hopefully).

That is actually really nice. It means that there's actual motivation to do the homework.
But yah if I take o-chem and physics i'll be taking 3 classes + maybe p.e. So I think i'll be able to manage ( hopefully).
I like it, helps my GPA :D
You could be one of those people that grasp physics easily, i have to work at it.. and work at it...:laugh:
If you manage your time right you should have no problem

Members don't see this ad :)
I like it, helps my GPA :D
You could be one of those people that grasp physics easily, i have to work at it.. and work at it...:laugh:
If you manage your time right you should have no problem

I have no capacity for time management haha.

I'm planning on taking Orgo 1 & 2 plus labs in the summer. Can anyone give me any advice on how much of a painful process this will be?

I'm planning on taking Orgo 1 & 2 plus labs in the summer. Can anyone give me any advice on how much of a painful process this will be?

If you're a guy, it would be the equivalent of putting ICY HOT down below.

How about taking it in the summer?
If you need help shoot me a PM

At my school the summer secession is relatively ridiculous 3h hour lectures monday and wends and then labs for 3 hours on thursday and tuesday and then discussion for 1 hour on tuesday and thursday. However its relatively do able I guess. Personally I'm waiting for them to announce the teachers for physics. If its a good one then i'll consider.

If you're a guy, it would be the equivalent of putting ICY HOT down below.

I was contemplating taking o-chem over the summer. but 8 hours a day is simply bull****.

I'm took Ochem, calc based physics, and math plus the math and physics lab together last quarter and I did just fine. But then again the physics lab at our school is kind of easy and I wasn't taking bio or studying for the MCAT so...

Im also waiting for them to announce the professor for physics 2 in the summer...
My schedule for summer will be
Lecture: M, T, W, TH: 11:00-1:30
Lab: T, TH: 2:00-3:50
and thats just physics 2

I'm took Ochem, calc based physics, and math plus the math and physics lab together last quarter and I did just fine. But then again the physics lab at our school is kind of easy and I wasn't taking bio or studying for the MCAT so...

Hmm I think if I decide to take o-chem and physics next year over the main year. I'll be doing 13 credits at most.

Im also waiting for them to announce the professor for physics 2 in the summer...
My schedule for summer will be
Lecture: M, T, W, TH: 11:00-1:30
Lab: T, TH: 2:00-3:50
and thats just physics 2

There's a place that offers m-th but its at a different campus.

Yeah I'm taking my courses at a county college

Yah same. It's like 3 miles away from my house. The nearest 4 year is over 40minutes away. But then again literally most people in my state do summer's off the 4 years.
Sigh I think I need to chill over the summer. If I take physics i'll kill myself. I think i'll just do o-chem and physics next year and take it slow with just 3 or 4 classes those semesters.

When I took the MCAT, three out of seven of my BS passages were Orgo and most of it was Orgo II.

I know some people only get one Orgo passage, but you can't always be sure what you'll end up with.
:thumbup: I bought my Kaplan instructor's line about Ochem only being 25% of the BS and this happened to me too. 3 of 7 passages, and loooooooong ones too. It really jammed me up. I would go in ready for anything that AAMC says is fair game, which includes plenty of Ochem 2.

But OP i don't think having a year between gchem and ochem is that big a deal.

:thumbup: I bought my Kaplan instructor's line about Ochem only being 25% of the BS and this happened to me too. 3 of 7 passages, and loooooooong ones too. It really jammed me up. I would go in ready for anything that AAMC says is fair game, which includes plenty of Ochem 2.

But OP i don't think having a year between gchem and ochem is that big a deal.

Yeah, depending on your MCAT there can be a good amount of Ochem on there. I bought the hype and took the MCAT before even taking orgo. It was a mistake.