• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

General Chem Q

Zaika85

Oct 22, 2009
  1. Pre-Dental
    Hi im reviewing gen chem for DAT and i came along this problem, its not that hard and i did bunch of them, but im stuck on this one(its from 1001Q in GC, q#93),
    "The mass percent of a compound in as follows:43.64% P, and 56.36%O. What's the empirical formula of the compound?" The correct answer is P2O5, but no matter how i do it i cant get this result. Any help how to get to that result? They say to work the problem backwards, but how would i know if i need to work it backwards or not on the actual DAT?

MonMonii

10+ Year Member
    Dec 8, 2007
    Toronto
    1. Pre-Dental
      Hi im reviewing gen chem for DAT and i came along this problem, its not that hard and i did bunch of them, but im stuck on this one(its from 1001Q in GC, q#93),
      "The mass percent of a compound in as follows:43.64% P, and 56.36%O. What's the empirical formula of the compound?" The correct answer is P2O5, but no matter how i do it i cant get this result. Any help how to get to that result? They say to work the problem backwards, but how would i know if i need to work it backwards or not on the actual DAT?

well since the %mass adds up to 100 you can assume that is the actual weight. divide each % by MW. you should get 3.5 for O and 1.4 for P. than divide 3.5 by 1.4 and you'll get 2.5. the correct answer will have the same ratio. (5/2 = 2.5) that's how I do it.

polkadds

5+ Year Member
      Jul 14, 2009
      1. Dental Student
        Just to supplement the last comment:

Assume that your % is grams, then convert it into moles. So you'd get 1.4 Moles P, and 3.5 Moles O. You then divide by the small # (1.4 in this case) 1.4/1.4=1, 3.5/1.4=2.5 so the ratio is PO2.5. We know PO2.5 can't exist so we multiply by the lowest # to reach 2 whole numbers. In this case it is 2, so we come up with P2O5.

Hope this helps

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.