General Chemistry Help and Advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrazyFox

Ex-Pre-Pharmie
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!!!!
It was probably asked on this forums already,but I wanted to have an advice from somebody who did it. Here is the story. I am planning to take Gen Chem course pretty soon, BUT I am affraid that it is going to be challenging because I wasn't good at chemistry during my school years. So I was going to ask you guys if there is any review/ preparation books or anything else that can help me? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Gen chem is taken at a pretty slow pace in college most of the time, I never went to chemistry class in high school so I did not end up learning anything either but I found once in college it all came to me well.

But if you want a head start, you could find out what text book you will be using and buy th book now and start reviewing the book and working problems. Or you could buy a Chemistry for Dummies book online.

I have not used this book, but it looks like it got some good reviews at for for 5.50 used plus shipping you really have nothing to lose!

http://www.amazon.com/Chemistry-Dum...6780802?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179433531&sr=8-1

I hope this helps, good luck with it.

I was so bad at chemistry in high school. I managed an A in honors chem, but I barely passed the AP Chem Class, and got a 2 in the AP exam. Needless to say, when i registered for gen chem, i was scared ****less. but its a very doable class, i got a B+ in chem 1, B in chem 2, and i got to take organic, which was the most rewarding class yet. you'll be fine :D

Members don't see this ad :)
The chemistry classes at my high school were pathetic, and I basically learned about the Periodic Table. I knew it would be tougher in college, especially since my university has a tough science program. For the first semester of general chemistry, I studied very hard. My hard work paid off, and I aced it, getting a couple 100% test scores. Second semester, my grade was based on just 3 tests (no extra points to be earned for quizzes). Since I had worked hard first semester, it came very easy second semester, and I usually studied only 2-3 hours the week before the tests and made A's. (No, this is not typical, but it "clicked" for me, and I understood the concepts and problems). I really like chemistry and it comes easy to me, but you should do well if you put in some time. Many people in my class struggled and received D's and F's, but they were unwilling to put in the time and try to learn the material.
My best advice: DO THE PROBLEMS IN THE BOOK. They help A TON. If you can do those easily, you will be prepared for your tests.
Good luck!

P.S. I really enjoyed this class, and I have developed a love of Chemistry as a result of it.

I have a question, actually, vaguely related to this.

I just finished up this semester with chemistry I, but I learned **** in it. Like, I literally learned almost nothing. I knew almost nothing about chemistry going into the class, and I barely know anything coming out of it - even simple concepts like moles and whatnot are very fuzzy in my head. The professor just did NOT teach the class. He did many demos which were interesting, but they were not very relevant, and his quizes were not very relevant to the material we were supposed to learn. Seeing as he didn't teach, most of the class failed the class, even though there was a gigantic curve.

I miraculously ended up getting a B in the class (though with the raw scores, I think I should have gotten a D), but I really feel umcomfortable with the lack of chemistry I know, especially since I want to go into pharm. I am registered to take chem II over the summer, and signed up to take organic chem in the fall. I hear chem II is not at all related to chem I, so I am not worried about that, but I am worried that my lack of learning anything in chem I will affect how I do in organic chem. However, I am looking at a very busy summer schedule. If I can afford not to, I'd rather not... so my main question is: How important is a basis of chemistry to do well in organic chem? Do you recommend me simply reviewing some key concepts, or going through the entire textbook and learning the material very well for organic chem?

Thanks.

Busy, I can completely relate to you on the not learning crap part from Chem I. I got a C in it. I went to take Chem II (I had to drop for other reasons), and I realized you can get through it without a sound foundation of Chem I, but it will really take a lot more studying and a profound effort.

It depends on who you are, of course. I guess I just suck at Chem in general =/ So anyway, this summer, along with my calculus courses, I'm sitting in on a Chem I class at a local CC to take notes. I feel I'm better off stopping and backing up for a second, because I have to be prepared as possible for the PCAT. That, and I'd like an A in Chem II and so on =)

I am a type of learner where I learn a bit from experience. So, I would do just about every problem in the general chemistry textbook I had to reinforce and illustrate concepts. If I got a question wrong, I would try to understand why my answer is wrong as opposed to memorizing a script to answering a certain question.

Chemistry is not quite like biology where you have to memorize a bunch of details and somehow visualize its relevance critically; it is a subject where you have to understand the procedures as a whole.

I always have this idea that I want to do all the problems in the book, and then I look in the back and there only answers for the odds. Like, WTF!

Maybe that's why I did so awful :laugh: Sure

I just finished up this semester with chemistry I, but I learned **** in it. Like, I literally learned almost nothing. I knew almost nothing about chemistry going into the class, and I barely know anything coming out of it - even simple concepts like moles and whatnot are very fuzzy in my head. The professor just did NOT teach the class. He did many demos which were interesting, but they were not very relevant, and his quizes were not very relevant to the material we were supposed to learn. Seeing as he didn't teach, most of the class failed the class, even though there was a gigantic curve.

I miraculously ended up getting a B in the class (though with the raw scores, I think I should have gotten a D), but I really feel umcomfortable with the lack of chemistry I know, especially since I want to go into pharm. I am registered to take chem II over the summer, and signed up to take organic chem in the fall. I hear chem II is not at all related to chem I, so I am not worried about that, but I am worried that my lack of learning anything in chem I will affect how I do in organic chem. However, I am looking at a very busy summer schedule. If I can afford not to, I'd rather not... so my main question is: How important is a basis of chemistry to do well in organic chem? Do you recommend me simply reviewing some key concepts, or going through the entire textbook and learning the material very well for organic chem?

Thanks.

I barely remembered anything from chem 1 which I took 4 years ago and I did fine in ochem 1. Chem 2 gives you a little preparation for ochem 1, but its just the acid/base chemistry part that you should kind of be familiar with. Really, general chemistry is totally different from organic chemistry. Ochem's a lot more interesting too, at least I thought so. So, if I were you, I would not review the textbook at all; just try to learn what you can in chem 2 and be prepared to work really hard in ochem! I read the ochem text a couple chapters in advance; that helped me stay on top of things (as well as recall things I learned previously), and gave me time to do the problems over and over and over again.

I always have this idea that I want to do all the problems in the book, and then I look in the back and there only answers for the odds. Like, WTF!

Maybe that's why I did so awful :laugh: Sure

Oh I hate that--I don't understand why so many texts only give you the answers for the odd numbered questions! I mean, how many college professors assign homework problems anyway. Even if they did, so what--the only way you are going to learn is if you actually work on the problem and then look to see if you got the right answer. You're screwing yourself over if you just look at the answer and it will show on the exam. Stupid textbook people; I don't understand what they're thinking. I was actually so lucky when I got my organic text--they actually had all the answers, both even and odd, in the solutions manual!! Maybe that's why I got an A in ochem 1, because I actually had a chance to do all of the problems!!!

In my experience general chemistry 1 was a hodgepodge of different topics. Chem. 2 was more chemical kinetics and Organic had absolutely nothing to do with either class!!! Just be sure that you pay attention and do well in organic because you'll use a lot of organic in Med. Chem.

One thing I would suggest that you do if you haven't already done, take a close look at your study habits. Chem 1 has probably been your first exposure as a freshman to a large lecture based course and the material from here on out doesn't get easier but if you perfect your study habits early, you're life will be much easier as you move along in your course work.

Best of luck!

If you can get past G-chem with a B, you can make it any other class. G chem covers alot of topics which is why people have trouble with it. Organic is much different, but requires you do somewhat understand what you did in G-Chem II. I made a B both semesters in G-Chem and an A both Semester so Organic, so don't G-chem get you down.

Thanks.

I don't think it will be a problem when you take organic chemistry - just be sure you understand some of the concepts from chem I about bonding. However, I think it might be a very big problem when you go to take the PCAT. You really need a good handle on the basic chemistry concepts to do well, so you may have to plan for some intensive review of your chem I concepts before test time.

I just passed General Chemistry I with an A by the skin of my teeth. I walked away with exactly a 90% in the class and scored under 70 on the final exam. Alot harder than I expected. Only advice I can give for these classes is do all of the problems in the book and GET THE SOLUTIONS MANUAL. I did'nt have it and suffered trying to figure the stuff out. I would of done alot better if I had it. I ordered the manual on ebay right now for a summmer General CHM 2 class.
I am really proud of myself. I'm a high school dropout (GED) with no high school (or any) chemistry and was able to walk away from this class with a score I didn't expect. Just remember. Chemistry is not about being smart. I have met many smart people who are extremely lazy.
It's about HARD HARD work Good luck to everyone with these classes.

Here are some tips that I wish someone had told me before taking all these rough science classes in college.
1. Prepare ahead of time for class. Try to get ahead by reading the text and at least have a vague understanding of what the professor is going to lecture on for that day. A lot of these concepts are hard to grasp and seeing them multiple times really helps.
2. GO TO CLASS! I went to a very large college and classes like organic and gen chem definately did not have mandatory attendance. But going to class and hearing the material from the professor reallly helped. Also, he's probably going to go over the stuff that he really wants you to know - so that may cut out large sections of the book that you do not have to learn.
3. Get to know your professor. It's extremely helpful to be on good terms with your professor. If you need help understanding something, they are usually pretty willing to help.

I'm not sure how it works at your college, but I believe Gen Chem is one of those classes that keeps building on itself. You may not need to know tons of details from Gen Chem 1 but there are probably going to be key concepts and ideas that will carry onto Gen Chem 2. If you feel like you don't have a good grasp of even the big ideas, then it might not be a bad idea for you to go over a review book. As far as organic goes, I think it's pretty different than Gen Chem. However, Gen Chem is one of those classes that has concepts that you will see over and over again in college. It's important that you learn them before you move onto more tougher subjects.

Best of luck and I hope that helps!

In the two interviews I had this year for pharmacy school I asked the question "out of all the pre-pharmacy classes I've taken which will be the most useful, and which will I never use again". In both interviews the professors told me that you will never use O-Chem, and very little Gen Chem. I found this very interesting. I thought I would be using a lot of chemistry for pharmacy school. They also said the pre-pharmacy course I would use most is physiology. This has been confirmed by a few buddies that are already in p2.

IMO, if you want to do well find the right teacher. Ask around and find out who teaches AND tests well. I've had many teachers that are excellent teachers but suck at testing, and vice versa. It's hard to find a mix of a teacher who teaches well and tests fairly. But they can be found by talking to people in other classes. Labs are a great place to find out about teachers. Who cares how well a professor can teach if you study 15 hours a week and you can only pull out a C? I know plenty of people that were in that boat. I had a buddy who studied 25 hours a week for his O-Chem class and barely pulled a A. He was a professor that students either loved or hated because he was a great teacher, but screwed students on tests. I studied maybe 5 hours a week and pulled a easy A because of my professor.

IMO pre-pharmacy courses are for building the best gpa you can to get in to school. And that largely depends on what professor you find. Yes, you need to learn and comprehend your classes, but some classes are more important to learn and retain then others.

I agree with zebiraross and many others on the teachers

The teacher means alot with a class like Chemistry. They can make it as hard as they want. I have had Biology teachers that I sort of disliked but it didnt matter because Biology is really easy :) Just show up for the Labs and memorize stuff for the tests.

Thank you so much for responces.

I agree with most of the other responses. General Chemistry covers a myriad of subjects in order to prepare students for more advanced and more specific courses in chemistry. I'd say the important topics for understanding organic chemistry are lewis/resonance structures, chemical bonding, thermodynamics, acids/bases, and kinetics. But you will probably review these subjects as you get to them in your organic class. And you most likely will not need to know all there is to know about these subjects, only what is required to understand the reactions in organic. For instance, you don't need to be able to draw lewis structures for every compound imaginable, only the ones you will see in organic. Organic is all about understanding where the electrons want to be, and the above topics from general chemistry will help to answer that.

Don't worry about what you learned in high school. General Chemistry professors in college have to assume that you haven't had any chemistry experience, and therefore, they start with the basics.

My school required an Intro to Chem course and the only teacher teaching it was a pita who made you do EVERYTHING correctly or else she would take points off. I was soooo pissed...

Until I got into Chem I. Im taking accelerated Chem I and Chem II classes this summer and got a 97 on my first exam when half of the class failed miserably (like a 26/100!).

Learn the basics... Well! Charges, polyatomic ions, and naming. It may suck to be pushed back a semester, but since its an Intro course your grade wont count. Get a pain in the ass teacher who pisses you off daily. Youll appreciate it later.