General Chemistry Help: Kinetic Energy and Temperature

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bballrules

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can clarify the relation between KE and Temp. I know they are directly proportional but how does moles, volume, and everything else relate to it? Can someone explain what happens in each case? I just don't understand what happens when each situation comes up, like if something is constant or whatever. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can clarify the relation between KE and Temp. I know they are directly proportional but how does moles, volume, and everything else relate to it? Can someone explain what happens in each case? I just don't understand what happens when each situation comes up, like if something is constant or whatever. Thank you.

Temp = sum of KE of all molecules in a mixture.
KE = 1/2 mv^2 (m = mass of molecule; v = velocity of molecule)

all of the above mentioned (moles, volume, pressure, volume, and temp) are in proportion with each other using the ideal gas law. PV=nRT so if you can just remember that equation you should be GTG.

now when using that equation, if it asks to leave something constant, just pretend that that variable is not there and solve accordingly. this is because if the moles, for example, stay the same they would cancel when completing the calculation when asking for a change in, lets say pressure. doing so will eventually get you at boyles law, charles law, etc.

hope that helps...