General Chemistry II or Physics? I need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mousepharmgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and need some advice.

I have a new term starting and need to figure out should I take Physics I over or just take my General Chem II over. I can't take both because they hit the same time! I don't recall Physics I at all, it's been 5 years and don't want to be a lost in class. And 9 weeks later, I'm registered for Physics II. I can take General Chem II in the fall though. I've had both Organics and gotten A's in both if that helps any.

I received F's (in both) just because I didn't go to class a few years back as a stupid freshmen.

Which one would you take? Physics I for Physics II sake or Gen Chem II?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have to retake Ochem(I'm guessing coursework is too old?)

Do you have to retake Ochem(I'm guessing coursework is too old?)

No. I went ahead and took the OChem series in the Fall and passed.

My advisor (was a professor/head of med school before retiring) told me to retake the Gen Chem series because my coursework was gonna be too old. I passed GenChem 1 long ago with a C, took it again and received a A in both Lab/Lecture. We didn't need GenChem 2 for Orgo Series....

Members don't see this ad :)
how did you get an a in ochem but fail gen chem

how did you get an a in ochem but fail gen chem

Studied until there was NO tomorrow! I literately had a tutor, internet, read the textbook every night, and worked problems like there was no tomorrow. I was asking for help by the professor too a lot.

And I said I failed Gen Chem II (because I was a stupid freshmen), I didn't fail Gen Chem I, and I had a AP credit. At my school, we don't need Gen Chem II to take Organic, just Gen Chem I.

When are you planning on applying? Is physics 2 required?

When are you planning on applying? Is physics 2 required?

I was planning on applying for Fall 2014.

And Physics II is required to two of my top schools.

I feel like I kind of dug myself in my own hole?

I guess I could start watching youtube videos with Physics and work problems for 7ish weeks until the class starts if I have too.

Hmm well I would rather have chem II fresh especially if you still need pcat...If you need pcat, could you do chem II now, physics 1 over summer and physics 2 in the fall? I don't remember relying too much on physics 1 for physics 2 and that was at the university level(if that matters)

I was planning on applying for Fall 2014.

And Physics II is required to two of my top schools.

I feel like I kind of dug myself in my own hole?

I guess I could start watching youtube videos with Physics and work problems for 7ish weeks until the class starts if I have too.

youre screwed cuz youre not gonna get in anywhere with an f in gen chem

youre screwed cuz youre not gonna get in anywhere with an f in gen chem

I have one F. That doesn't mean squat. Who says that I'm screwed, you? Just you? I've talked to admissions groups and health professions who say otherwise. Plus, that was like what over 4 years ago? In that time, I have graduated with a Bachelors, registered LPN, and have maintained over a 3.7 GPA in undergrad! I also work over 40+ hours, still able to be full-time in college, and make good grades. And that doesn't contain some of the community service/extra curricular hours that I have put in.

I'm not even going to say anymore, it's just egging you on.

Hmm well I would rather have chem II fresh especially if you still need pcat...If you need pcat, could you do chem II now, physics 1 over summer and physics 2 in the fall? I don't remember relying too much on physics 1 for physics 2 and that was at the university level(if that matters)

Only problem is that Physics I/II is not offered in the summer. There's just like Chemistry for Health Professionals offered. I'd have to take that another time. I got to a really small school. I have 3 PCAT schools, others are non-PCAT schools for backup. I'm a bit weak in standardized testing anyway.

I think what I'm going to do is just take Gen Chem II just like you said I need it for the PCAT, but you don't think I'll know most of it already from Organic I/II? Then, I need Physics II and just take it when Gen Chem II ends and have to find some help.

Eh well the material that is emphasized from chem II is solubility constant problems, rate laws, pH, Henderson-hasselbach, equilibrium(le chatliers principle etc). I know those types of topics are not dwelled on as much in ochem...as for the F, as long as you retake it and earn a good grade you'll be just fine.

I have a new term starting and need to figure out should I take Physics I over or just take my General Chem II over. I can't take both because they hit the same time! I don't recall Physics I at all, it's been 5 years and don't want to be a lost in class. And 9 weeks later, I'm registered for Physics II. I can take General Chem II in the fall though. I've had both Organics and gotten A's in both if that helps any.

I received F's (in both) just because I didn't go to class a few years back as a stupid freshmen.

I would take the chem II first, since the Organic may still be somewhat fresh in your mind. I'm in physics II right now, and it is really unrelated to the material from physics I. For us, phys I was all motion/kinematics. Phys II has been electrostatics/magnetism. I personally wouldn't bother retaking physics I at all. You may want to take a look at some old formulas, but I think you would be fine :)

For us, phys I was all motion/kinematics. Phys II has been electrostatics/magnetism. I personally wouldn't bother retaking physics I at all. You may want to take a look at some old formulas, but I think you would be fine :)

+1 It's different material really. Get a tutor from day 1 though in case your rusty on how to approach the problems.

I would just go ahead and finished all your chemistry and get Chem2 our of the way. If you got As in both orgo, Chem2 will be a breeze to you. Most schools dont look at Physics grade that seriously. Some dont even require it. I would take it last.

Chemistry > Physics

Bang it out and get an A! How'd you end up doing in ochem?

Chemistry > Physics

Bang it out and get an A! How'd you end up doing in ochem?

That's what I'm telling myself. Chemistry is just much more important here.

OChem was a rough battle at first going in with not touching chemistry in such a long time. I had like 9/10 people in my class, but worked. Got an A in both OChem I and II and took that in the fall, one after the other, with a two week break in between both. It was more like I had to do well, given I bombed the GenChem's years back.

I would just go ahead and finished all your chemistry and get Chem2 our of the way. If you got As in both orgo, Chem2 will be a breeze to you. Most schools dont look at Physics grade that seriously. Some dont even require it. I would take it last.

Think I just have heard horror stories about the class. Some even say it's worse than orgo, but same professor should be a breeze. It's the 4+ hours labs, twice a week that will suck.

+1 It's different material really. Get a tutor from day 1 though in case your rusty on how to approach the problems.

Thanks for telling me this! I'm going to dig some old physics books and start working problems too. :)

I would take the chem II first, since the Organic may still be somewhat fresh in your mind. I'm in physics II right now, and it is really unrelated to the material from physics I. For us, phys I was all motion/kinematics. Phys II has been electrostatics/magnetism. I personally wouldn't bother retaking physics I at all. You may want to take a look at some old formulas, but I think you would be fine :)

I think our Physics II is about the same. The catalog says its like waves, light, optics, currents, and magnets. I think I'm just psyching myself out for the worse when it can't be that bad. A lot of everyone tells me that at my school, Physics is a complete joke. We don't even have a required book.

If you got an A in both Ochem I/II I wouldn't sweat the previous gaffes with gen chem. Ochem >>>>> Gen chem in difficulty for most people and they understand this. I would definitely be prepared to explain (in detail) why you had those F's to your interviewer as it may come up. Also some schools have a supplemental application where you can bring up anything else you'd like to say to the admissions committee. I would be prepared to write-up a little something explaining yourself and then telling about the challenges that you overcame in retaking those courses, and how you didn't let it affect your ability to get A's in tougher courses (Ochem) after.

That's what I'm telling myself. Chemistry is just much more important here.

OChem was a rough battle at first going in with not touching chemistry in such a long time. I had like 9/10 people in my class, but worked. Got an A in both OChem I and II and took that in the fall, one after the other, with a two week break in between both. It was more like I had to do well, given I bombed the GenChem's years back.

Think I just have heard horror stories about the class. Some even say it's worse than orgo, but same professor should be a breeze. It's the 4+ hours labs, twice a week that will suck.

Thanks for telling me this! I'm going to dig some old physics books and start working problems too. :)

I think our Physics II is about the same. The catalog says its like waves, light, optics, currents, and magnets. I think I'm just psyching myself out for the worse when it can't be that bad. A lot of everyone tells me that at my school, Physics is a complete joke. We don't even have a required book.
I got an A on Orgo and B in Chem2. Gen Chem is boring as hell to me so I just had a hard time liking it. Only discussion I liked was Acids/Bases and nuclear chemistry. The second half of the class is ALOT more math based(if thats a good thing for you). Is it harder then Orgo? I dont think so. Orgo is more memorization where Genchem2 is more math/formulas with some qualitative analysis.