General Chemistry versus Inorganic Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bust-A-rhyme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a very stupid question, but in general what is the difference between general chemistry and inorganic chemistry. In my department we have inorganic, and organic chemistry. so is general chemistry = inorganic chemistry?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

General Chemistry will have you learning the elements' names, bonding theory, solubility rules, and reaction kinetics (as well as many other things, but these are a few major topics).

Inorganic chemistry will be dealing with transition metals and their complexes.

Organic chemistry will be dealing with organic compounds, which are based around carbon and hydrogen. Very rarely will you encounter elements outside of C, H, O, N, S, and halogens.

Med schools want gen chem and organic chem. Compare these points to your schools' descriptions of the inorganic courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is sort of a tricky question. In most cases, yes inorganic = general. However, at my university, there is General Chemistry I,II; and then the upper level senior year course i'll be taking next semester, Inorganic Chemistry. This deals more indepth with bonding and crystalline structures.

When med schools say inorganic, yes, they are referring to general chemistry.

It is sort of a tricky question. In most cases, yes inorganic = general. However, at my university, there is General Chemistry I,II; and then the upper level senior year course i'll be taking next semester, Inorganic Chemistry. This deals more indepth with bonding and crystalline structures.

When med schools say inorganic, yes, they are referring to general chemistry.
Yeah, at my school inorganic was also above Gen Chem - you had to have taken Gen Chem to get into Inorg.