General Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orioles128

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have AP Chemistry credit and was wondering for schools that do not accept AP credit (ie Wake, BU, Columbia, Vanderbilt), if Biochemistry is an accepetable general chemistry course.

Members don't see this ad.

Biochemistry is by definition not general chemistry, it's organic. General chem in college is either physical chem or analytical. I would take at least one real gen chem class, AP credit doesn't usually work.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
yikes i hate gen chem :sleep:

I have AP Chemistry credit and was wondering for schools that do not accept AP credit (ie Wake, BU, Columbia, Vanderbilt), if Biochemistry is an accepetable general chemistry course.

im using AP credit for gen chem. its fine.

out of the four you listed, im applying to two of them: columbia and vanderbilt. i dont remember columbia being strict about not taking APs? but i believe its fine. im complete there and have no queries from admissions. i called vanderbilt when filling their secondary and they let me sub in my biochem and another chem course i took (im a chem minor), and i have an interview there so that pretty much tells ya, its ok to bend the AP rule for vandy.

for other schools, i would call and ask.

thats good. I have an interview at vandy too and have been trying to fill out the prereqs for gen chem since i have ap creds.