1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

General Chemistry

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Kry, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Kry

Kry cranky
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I took Inorganic Chemistry (1 & 2) several years ago and I am wondering if I need to retake it since it was only a 3 credit class (med schools require 4 credit g-chem 1&2).. Any ideas?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. amelie

amelie Member
    10+ Year Member

you may just need to take a lab. at ut dallas, the lecture part of g chem is 3 hours and the lab part is 1 hour. this combo fulfills the prereq course requirements. if you had a good grade in the 3 hour part, i'd just take the corresponding gen chem lab.

4. Kry

Kry cranky
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So it goes by credit hours and not the amount of credit? For instance, the g-chem + Lab I took was 3 credits total, but at the same time it was more than 3 credit hours.

5. amelie

amelie Member
    10+ Year Member

what i mean is...the g chem (lecture (3) plus the lab (1) equals the necessary 4 credit hours for g chem I, say. for whatever reason, some schools award distinct credit hours for lecture versus lab. so let's say you attended one of these schools (since earned 3 hours, but are short 1 hour) and took g chem I lecture there. if your grade in that 3 hour course was good, then i would take a g chem lab class (I) to account for the remaining credit hour. admittedly, the school would have to break up the credit hours for lecture versus lab, but it would be less labor intensive than resitting the entire four hour sequence. i'm not saying you can't just retake all four hours...but why retake if you don't have to...
    let me know if this makes sense. i am a little tired right now and my reply reads convoluted to me. :)

6. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

thats how i works at my school.

7. limit

limit Molesting my inner-child
    10+ Year Member

ok, let me explain for Kry.

Our school is as follows:
    lecture 2.5 credits
    lab 0.5 credits

He took both with a total of 3 credits.

8. amelie

amelie Member
    10+ Year Member

i see. well, if the 2.5 hours for lecture and the 0.5 hour for lab is not distinct on the transcipt (i.e. reads gen chem I, 3 hrs.) .then i would just take a lab class somewhere else...

9. Kry

Kry cranky
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

They are reported distinctively.

10. DALABROKA

DALABROKA Raider Hater
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think that as long as the total hours of class per week are consistant with the "normal" way G-chem is taught (ie., 3hrs or 4hrs lecture/recitation and 3hrs lab per week for a 16 week semester) that this would satisfy the pre-reqs for chem I. Amcas may adjust your schools reported hours to "amcas" hours if your school has an unusual way of issuing the credits. How many credits do you need to graduate from your school? I have never seen .5hrs of credit before.

11. limit

limit Molesting my inner-child
    10+ Year Member

The lab class is 6 hours ever other week (3 hours per week) == .5 cred

The lecture was 4 hours per week == 3 cred

12. Kry

Kry cranky
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

That's not how it was wgen I took it. Lab was 2 hours a week and lecture was 3 or 4 hours a week.