General Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kry

cranky
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took Inorganic Chemistry (1 & 2) several years ago and I am wondering if I need to retake it since it was only a 3 credit class (med schools require 4 credit g-chem 1&2).. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

you may just need to take a lab. at ut dallas, the lecture part of g chem is 3 hours and the lab part is 1 hour. this combo fulfills the prereq course requirements. if you had a good grade in the 3 hour part, i'd just take the corresponding gen chem lab.

So it goes by credit hours and not the amount of credit? For instance, the g-chem + Lab I took was 3 credits total, but at the same time it was more than 3 credit hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
what i mean is...the g chem (lecture (3) plus the lab (1) equals the necessary 4 credit hours for g chem I, say. for whatever reason, some schools award distinct credit hours for lecture versus lab. so let's say you attended one of these schools (since earned 3 hours, but are short 1 hour) and took g chem I lecture there. if your grade in that 3 hour course was good, then i would take a g chem lab class (I) to account for the remaining credit hour. admittedly, the school would have to break up the credit hours for lecture versus lab, but it would be less labor intensive than resitting the entire four hour sequence. i'm not saying you can't just retake all four hours...but why retake if you don't have to...
let me know if this makes sense. i am a little tired right now and my reply reads convoluted to me. :)

Originally posted by amelie
what i mean is...the g chem (lecture (3) plus the lab (1) equals the necessary 4 credit hours for g chem I, say. for whatever reason, some schools award distinct credit hours for lecture versus lab.

thats how i works at my school.

ok, let me explain for Kry.

Our school is as follows:
lecture 2.5 credits
lab 0.5 credits

He took both with a total of 3 credits.

i see. well, if the 2.5 hours for lecture and the 0.5 hour for lab is not distinct on the transcipt (i.e. reads gen chem I, 3 hrs.) .then i would just take a lab class somewhere else...

Originally posted by amelie
i see. well, if the 2.5 hours for lecture and the 0.5 hour for lab is not distinct on the transcipt (i.e. reads gen chem I, 3 hrs.) .then i would just take a lab class somewhere else...

They are reported distinctively.

I think that as long as the total hours of class per week are consistant with the "normal" way G-chem is taught (ie., 3hrs or 4hrs lecture/recitation and 3hrs lab per week for a 16 week semester) that this would satisfy the pre-reqs for chem I. Amcas may adjust your schools reported hours to "amcas" hours if your school has an unusual way of issuing the credits. How many credits do you need to graduate from your school? I have never seen .5hrs of credit before.

Originally posted by DALABROKA
I think that as long as the total hours of class per week are consistant with the "normal" way G-chem is taught (ie., 3hrs or 4hrs lecture/recitation and 3hrs lab per week for a 16 week semester) that this would satisfy the pre-reqs for chem I. Amcas may adjust your schools reported hours to "amcas" hours if your school has an unusual way of issuing the credits. How many credits do you need to graduate from your school? I have never seen .5hrs of credit before.

The lab class is 6 hours ever other week (3 hours per week) == .5 cred

The lecture was 4 hours per week == 3 cred

Originally posted by limit
The lab class is 6 hours ever other week (3 hours per week) == .5 cred

The lecture was 4 hours per week == 3 cred

That's not how it was wgen I took it. Lab was 2 hours a week and lecture was 3 or 4 hours a week.