• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

General Chemistry

yingao88

Feb 1, 2013
  1. Pre-Medical
    a calcium atom has an electron with the quantum numbers 3, 2, 0, and 1/2 for n, l, M1, and Ms repectively. Which of the following is the most likely explanation for this?

A) the electron moved to a higher energy level by emitting a photon of light.
    B) the calcium atom is an anion
    C) the quantum numbers correspond to one of calcium's valence electrons.
    D)the calcium atom contains an excited electron.

I am very confused on the question, i dont know what the question is asking for. How can i approach this question?

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    May 27, 2011
    1. Medical Student
      a calcium atom has an electron with the quantum numbers 3, 2, 0, and 1/2 for n, l, M1, and Ms repectively. Which of the following is the most likely explanation for this?

I am very confused on the question, i dont know what the question is asking for. How can i approach this question?

Last edited:

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
      Removed
      May 27, 2011
      1. Medical Student

it's a weird question

amberkre

7+ Year Member
        May 7, 2012
        1. Medical Student
          n=3 means third energy level
          l=2 means d orbital
          ml= 0 --> the electron is in the dyz orbital (the 3rd d orbital out of 5)
          ms= 1/2--> means positive spin

A)wrong definition of excitation-- the energy would be absorbed not emitted
          B) anion- means it has an extra electron so it would now have 21 electrons not 19. --> however this would put the new electron in the first d orbital not the 3rd so this is incorrect
          C) not true, calcium normally does not have an electron in the d orbital
          D) if an electron is in the d orbital (not normal) it is in a higher energy orbital, so it is excited (also this is the only possible choice left)

About the Ads

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
          Removed
          May 27, 2011
          1. Medical Student
            n=3 means third energy level
            l=2 means d orbital
            ml= 0 --> the electron is in the dyz orbital (the 3rd d orbital out of 5)
            ms= 1/2--> means positive spin

A)wrong definition of excitation-- the energy would be absorbed not emitted
            B) anion- means it has an extra electron so it would now have 21 electrons not 19. --> however this would put the new electron in the first d orbital not the 3rd so this is incorrect
            C) not true, calcium normally does not have an electron in the d orbital
            D) if an electron is in the d orbital (not normal) it is in a higher energy orbital, so it is excited (also this is the only possible choice left)

My mistake... I deleted my anion blunder. However, D is the only one left but I don't think it's the correct answer.

Jepstein30

Jun 29, 2011
            1. Medical Student

For an electron with 3, 2, 0 and 1/2, you'd expect it to be 3rd energy level, in a d orbital and the 3rd electron in the d-block. It's telling you where the electron is and then asking you how it got there in a calcium atom.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.