General dentistry and implants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FishingDentist

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year at UCLA and want to be a general dentist. Most of the specialties just don't interest me much. But I would really like to learn about implants and be able to provide them for my patients in the future. So what's the best way to learn about them? I don't want any type of weekend seminar stuff where you don't really learn a lot. I've heard of some GPR's and AEGD's that offer some implant training. I've also heard of some 1-1.5 year long(?) implantology programs at certain dental schools (NYU I think). So if there are any generals out there who do implants or anyone else that knows a good way for a future general dentist to get into them, please let me know. Thanks everyone.

Ben

Members don't see this ad.

Ben,

At OSU, our pre-doc curriculum includes implant classes our 3rd and 4th years - however this doesn't really help you out much. The topic of what a general dentist needs to do in order to place implants competantly came up during a panel discussion in my wound healing course this thursday.
According to Dr. McGlumphy, head of OSU's implant program, a general dentist can acquire skills to place basic implants either through a GPR (one directed toward that sort of thing) or by taking quality continuing ed classes. I know that's a generic sort of answer, but it's the one he gave. As long as you learn to do them correctly, the success rate's 95-99%, depending on the area of the mouth they're placed in - and I'm sure you've seen the AMAZING before and after full mouth pros. case pics. They blow me away every time - even when it's "just" a set of anchors placed for denture retention. Now if only they were less expensive for patients...

Anyway, good luck - I'm sure any extra time you spend learning the procedures/specs will be well worth it!!! :clap:

Don't knock the CE route before you try it. Implantology will continue to emerge as a huge part of dentistry in the future. The manufacturers of various implant systems are continuing to perfect their design with respect to proper smooth collar length, taper, and surface roughness to the point where the success rate in a healthy individual is essentially 100% with success rates of about 90% running in "poor candidate" patients (i.e. Type 4 bone, uncontrolled diabetics, smokers, etc, etc, etc)

True, a great way to learn hands on implantology can be achieved in certain GPR's/AEGD's or even better in the growing number of Implantology fellowships/residencies. There are also a great number of GOOD, hands-on courses (I'm talking 2 to 3 day weekend/weekends courses and courses such as NYU's mini implantology residency.)

The thing that you need to ask yourself, is do you want to place as well as restore implants, or just restore them???:confused: If you want to restore them only and let your local oral surgeon/periodontist place them, then essentially all the hands-on knowledge you need to know is being taught to you in your crown and bridge courses. (In all honesty all that is involved in taking a implant final impression is unscrewing the healing cap {if you can use a screw driver you can do this}, snapping an impression coping over the implant, taking a standard crown and bridge final impression, and then back to your screw driver to tighten the abutment onto the implant body, and making a standard temporary. we're talking not even 15 minutes of chair time :eek:

If your going to place them also, then it's a bit more involved. If no grafting of the implant site is needed, then it's just raising a small flap, leveling the height of the alveolar ridge if needed, and then preparing the osteotomy site with the series of sequetional bone drills, inserting the implant, and suturing the site closed. I had one placed in my #29 region (congenitally missing/failed Maryland Bridge after 12 years), and I was in the chair a total of 25 minutes from local anesthesia injection to walking out the door. It's that quick and easy in a standard site. Some other patients require much more involved bone grafting and/or sinus lift procedures. While more challenging than just restoring the implant, it is easily doable by a G.P. with proper training.

Personally my partner and I just restore our patient's implants. Here's why. First off, lower liability, if an implant is going to fail, it's most commonly due to a surgical issue, not ours. Two, between the 2 of us, we restore between 75 and 100 implants per year, wich would mean we would place that many. The surgeon we use places over 600 implants per year:wow: You can't argue with extra experience. This scenario of the G.P. just restoring implants and not placing them probably describer between 75 and 80% of all G.P.'s practicing implant dentistry

On an asside, this past week, one of the bigs names in Implant dentistry, Dr Dennis Tarnow, a dually boarded periodontist/ prosthodontist, and chairman of the department of Implantology out of NYU, spoke in my State dentals association C.E. lecture series. He had a few great radiographic pieces of evidence of implants being much more resistant to perio disease than natural teeth:D Think about it this way, you can now give your patient's a restoration that is truely decay and perio resistant. Now thats great stuff:clap: