General Human Physiology vs. Immunology vs. Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted642188

Hi Guys,

I just want insight on my schedule for next year. Next semester I have the oppurtunity to take either genetics/immunology/GENERAL Human Physio. I know my school's med school prefer undergrad students from my school who've taken ADVANCED human physio which is only offered during the fall - when I start applying. In your opinion what class should I take next semester because they're all equally interesting to me. Also I still have my english prereqs, do I need to take my prereqs before application begins?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take whatever classes you're interested in and/or need to graduate. Med School's will likely not care if you took immuno over physio and vice versa. You'll need to take these classes again in medical school anyway.

I would try and get as many prereqs as possible out of the way before applying (they're called prereqs for a reason), the only prereq I had left to take when applying was biochem (and that was really only a prereq for a couple of schools).

Take whatever classes you're interested in and/or need to graduate. Med School's will likely not care if you took immuno over physio and vice versa. You'll need to take these classes again in medical school anyway.

I would try and get as many prereqs as possible out of the way before applying (they're called prereqs for a reason), the only prereq I had left to take when applying was biochem (and that was really only a prereq for a couple of schools).

thank you, for me the only prerquisite I have is a semester of English which I wanna do next Fall. Since my school's med school prefers to see that ADVANCED physio class do you think it'll hurt me too much if I haven't taken it before applying??

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you, for me the only prerquisite I have is a semester of English which I wanna do next Fall. Since my school's med school prefers to see that ADVANCED physio class do you think it'll hurt me too much if I haven't taken it before applying??

I don't know how not taking an elective course that one med school says it prefers to see in students from their home school could keep you out of that med school if you had an otherwise great application.

Also, unless someone on the adcom of that school directly told you that you pretty much need advanced physio to be considered, I probably would second guess that info.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know how not taking an elective course that one med school says it prefers to see in students from their home school could keep you out of that med school if you had an otherwise great application.

Also, unless someone on the adcom of that school directly told you that you pretty much need advanced physio to be considered, I probably would second guess that info.

though would it be a big deal if a semester of english was the only prereq left and I'm taking it when I'm applying?

though would it be a big deal if a semester of english was the only prereq left and I'm taking it when I'm applying?

It varies. Double check all your schools, as different schools have different policies for coursework.

I haven't taken physiology, but I can imagine it being pretty tedious. I'm taking immunology right now and it's fascinating. Would recommend. Also taken genetics and immunology > genetics.

All classes are good choices, but I recommend the one you have the least experience with. I wish I had taken an immunology course now that I'm in med school, versus more genetics/molecular bio.

well guys... thanks for the input but there are a few more electives I can choose from along with top three i also can take intro to drug delivery or CELLULAR physio. any insights on those two? :whistle:

Thanks y'all!

I've taken all three. Physiology was by far the most interesting, followed by immuno. I've heard a number of med students say that they wish they had taken immuno in undergrad. Honestly, just take whatever seems most interesting.

I've taken all three. Physiology was by far the most interesting, followed by immuno. I've heard a number of med students say that they wish they had taken immuno in undergrad. Honestly, just take whatever seems most interesting.

Have you taken drug delivery or CELL physio?