General Medical Licensure Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD3:16

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question if anyone can help me. I resigned from a residency 2.5 years ago because I was placed on probation for clinical performance issues. Now i completed a residency successfully and applied for a medical license. But the medical board has requested my file from my former residency and god knows what negative comments they made about me before I resigned. Should I be worried or consult a lawyer. Can they deny my application for a license.

Members don't see this ad.

The medical boards can deny a license to anyone, if they want.
However, I think they are really unlikely to do so given that you already successfully completed another residency. Just don't lie about what happened on any medical licensure applications, and you will likely be fine. At most, they might put you on some sort of probationary license at first, but from the couple of people I know who had situations like this, nothing like that was done. I know one person who did 1 year of internship in one specialty, didn't like it (and they didn't like her) and her contract was not renewed. She then went somewhere else, did well and completed residency, and got a medical license with no problem.

It never hurts to get an attorney's involvement, particular when you are at the stage of filling out hospital credentialing applications or medical licensure applications and you have any kind of blot on your record. I've never needed to, but I do know of people who have gotten advice from attorneys in these types of situations.

At most, I think the medical board might request you to come before them in person, or might request more information about what happened. If you already submitted your application for licensure, maybe you should just wait and see what happens...if any problems, then consult an attorney.

sorry, i don't know the answer to your question. but i was wondering how on earth you graduated from a residency program without a medical license. don't they make you get one as a second year resident?

sorry, i don't know the answer to your question. but i was wondering how on earth you graduated from a residency program without a medical license. don't they make you get one as a second year resident?

Not sure that's universal.

My program made us take Step 3, so we were eligible for a full and unrestricted license, by the end of 2nd year, but since we could use training licenses all through our residency, there was no requirement to have a regular license.

I have a question if anyone can help me. I resigned from a residency 2.5 years ago because I was placed on probation for clinical performance issues. Now i completed a residency successfully and applied for a medical license. But the medical board has requested my file from my former residency and god knows what negative comments they made about me before I resigned. Should I be worried or consult a lawyer. Can they deny my application for a license.

You will have to jump through some hoops like go for an interview. Most states will have a question like have you ever been on probation in any point in your training. IF you indeed were put on probationyou have to divulge that. I dont think they will deny you licensure but more than likely you will have to go down for an interview. You can always live by the maxim, "never volunteer information" so if you can get away with construing a question to your favor. go for it. anyway, Its not a big deal. There are people who apply for medical licenses who are drunks, have assault charges, have illegitimate childres that they are paying off.. it goes on and on and on...

Totally program dependent (or state dependent in the case of California). A guy who graduated from my program worked for 3 months in his new job (doing administrative work only) without a license because he didn't get around to taking Step 3 until his last month of residency.