General Organic Chem Question for Recent MCATers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsherLev

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who has taken the MCAT recently just comment about the organic chemistry parts. Ive gotten a lot of advice that as long as you understand basics, SN1, SN2, functional groups, and in general the big picture you will be fine...so do recent test takers corroborate this? that we should just know the bigger themes instead of focusing on every detailed reaction about converting A to B, and so on? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone who has taken the MCAT recently just comment about the organic chemistry parts. Ive gotten a lot of advice that as long as you understand basics, SN1, SN2, functional groups, and in general the big picture you will be fine...so do recent test takers corroborate this? that we should just know the bigger themes instead of focusing on every detailed reaction about converting A to B, and so on? Thanks!

I took the MCAT last year, so I'm not sure if I count as a recent test taker, but on my test we had questions about oxidizing alcohols to carbonyls (breathalyzer test) and some other oxidation/reduction reactions, as well as some fairly specific organic chem questions, but not too many passages. YMMV.