"General" physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeastfromthEast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what my schedule will look like. Anyway, I am looking at the academic requirements of some of the med schools I think I will end up applying to later on.

Some of the schools I am interested in require "General college physics" and "General physics." Does this mean cal-based physics or non cal? Or any?

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many premeds take non-calc based. Personally, I think physics is harder without calculus (at least basic calculus principles) but I'm also an engineering student so perhaps that's why. As a tutor for physics, I always find it harder to teach physics without any calculus.

The MCAT also only tests physics without calculus, but knowing calculus based physics will only help!

For the MCAT it doesn't matter, as the physics questions are the most straightforward of all the science questions. Med schools don't care either.

You really can take whichever one you want. Medical schools only require algebra-based physics, and that is all you will be tested for on the MCAT. I have seen the arguement that calc-based physics is easier to understand, but I can't comment because I never took calculus in college, so choose whichever one you think you'll do better in/understand more.