General Practice after 4 Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalstu02

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i want to know how capable a person would be that goes to a research oriented school (Michigan) to practice general dentistry after 4 years. I am in a bind because I am choosing between UM and Temple (an awesome clinical school and I love philly!) but I am instate at Michigan (plus it is overall such a good school). I am pretty set on general dentistry but I would want to practice straight out of dental school (I dont want to have to go into a year long aegd or gpr program)
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You need to look up some recent graduates of both schools for the best answer to your question. They would know how competent they felt coming out of the dental program and also would know about what their classmates and friends did/felt as well. You could also ask the school how many students go straight into private practice for a good indication of how well the school prepares its students for general practice. Ask the school for some names of recent graduates or ask dentists in the vicinity of each school if they know of any recent grads. You'll have to do some digging, but usually someone knows of someone who went to Michigan/Temple dental a few years back.

Even though Michigan is research oriented, I can't imagine that every student there is into research. I'm sure you would find others like yourself who want to be general dentists and have nothing to do with research.

I have the similar question too. I know most of students graduated from Penn and Columbia do a one year GPR. But most graduates from Temple or Tufts start working in private practice right away. So does it that Penn and Columbia graduates do not have enough clinical experience? I have great respect for these two schools, but it just makes me wonder why most of their graduates need to do a one year GPR.

Members don't see this ad :)
The main reason I believe people from PENN or Columbia do a residency after graduation is to add more stuff to their list of experiences before applying to specialty programs. Many specialty programs love to see GPR or AEGD experience much more so than private practice experience.

GPR and AEGD is just like extending the clinical years but also with lectures/seminars and opportunities to associate with professors/dentists, whereas in private practice you are working alone and with less clinical observation/critique from other dentists.

Hope this makes sense.

DesiDentist

I think if you check the three big research schools are Michigan, University of North Carolina and Alabama. But guess what! There is very little research and development in the field of dentistry at the University level. Most Research is done in private industry with companies like 3M and Proctor and Gamble. Go to Temple and learn how to be a dentist. You can attend seminars your entire professional life on awesome research mostly done in the private sector. Don't be fooled by the term Research school when it comes to Dentistry. The Government gives very little Research dollars for teeth! Temple is the school!

One question I asked at the schools I interviewed at was "How many grads go on to practice general dentistry after 4 years?" That is one reason I opted not to go to U of MI. It would be great if you want to specialize but I got the impression that a lot of grads were not ready to go into general practice. At U of MN or MI they said it was "unheard of for students to go into general practice right after graduation." That scared me. I wanted a school that would get me ready for general practice and if I wanted to specialize, I could go on.

Matt

You are on the right track! A school has more than enough time to place a dentist into the real world in four years! If not they are stealing tuition from the student. Once you have a license you are on your own and the expectation is that you will be able to preform what you were trained to do. Go to a school where faculty have private practices and can treat patients. For those of you who decide to go to Michigan, there are very good Institutes to train you after graduation. Check out Pankey Institute. There will come a day when you are on your own and that should be after four years of great training at a school who is willing to take the time. Full time faculty don't care about the real world. I know of schools where the dean of the dental school can't even practice dentistry in the state they live. Something to think about. Ask the faculty if they are licensed to practice the field they are teaching! Ask questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find that the best orthodontists, endo, pedo, perio, oral surgeons, prostho, are the individuals who went into private practice for several years and then went back for specialty training. You have to understand the needs to the general dentist that refer to you in order to treat patients in a comprehensive manner. The best approach is get through undergrad dental school. Get a job. Find what interest you have. Then either take continuing eduation or go into a specialty. In Dentistry you are have a license to practice all areas upon graduation. A specialty only restricts what you can do. Oral Surgeons cannot make dentures, crown, do endos, etc. Please think about the future and don't let these schools manipulate your decision. You can practice at the end on four years. Talk to the people at Detroit Mercy and Temple!