General Pre-med Questions and Concerns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anavarro13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I am a College Junior, a Pre-med Bio Major.
I will graduate in Spring of 2017, and hopefully enter medical school in Fall of 2017

In my previous two years, I have done pretty well in my academics, but havent done any Shadowing, volunteer work, Research, or any of the things I keep hearing that are expected of an Undergrad Student with hopes of going to medical school. Honestly, besides my academic coursework and my work-study job, I have nothing to show, but I am trying to catch up on all that now, but I feel like I am really behind.

Am I really behind, or is this not so bad?
What advice do you guys have on how to start beefing up my resume?

Also, I got the Princeton Review MCAT Subject Review, so I can start studying for the MCAT, but I'm not sure where to start. Considering how hectic my schedule already is, I don't know how much time I will be able to dedicate to studying for the MCAT. Ideally I would like to take the MCAT as late as possible, so I will have more time to study, but I am not sure of what is "too late".

Around what test dates are good to shoot for, so that I will still be able to get into a medical school in Fall of 2017, while being as prepared as possible for the exam?

Lastly, I have considered taking a Gap year after I graduate to beef up my resume and possibly retake my MCAT if I do poorly, so that I have better chances of attending medical school, but I don't entirely know if that is even a good idea. I am on track to graduate on time, I just feel unprepared for the MCAT and have a weak resume that a gap year could potentially help fix. Under what circumstances would taking a gap year be a good option?

Thanks in advance, any advice helps!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a junior in college and you have not shadowed, volunteered or did research you will probably have to take AT LEAST one year off. I had shadowing and heavy clinical volunteering and still took a year off. Start volunteering in a hospital and find doctors to shadow. Research might be tougher to get into, but a good way is doing well and participating in a class taught by a professor with a research connection.

Have you worked through highschool/ college?

Just out of curiosity, how do you know you want to be a doctor/ why do you want to be a doctor?

You sound like a good candidate for a gap year.

Reactions: 1 user