General psych MA vs mental health counseling MA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rlg093

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been reading a lot of posts on here but haven't found anything current matching exactly what I want to know so I was curious on everyone's opinions. I applied to phd programs but did not get into any these year. However, I did get into several masters program. Right now my plan is to eventually get a phd in clinical psych. I'm deciding between 4 schools right now, two are mental health counseling programs. The third one is a general MA from DePaul in Chicago and the fourth is general MA from teachers college, Columbia. I'm wondering which program will help me get into a phd program when I'm finished but I am also worried if I chose a non licensure track and then decide I don't want to do a phd anymore I will be stuck without a job. Basically my two questions are is it worth getting a phd in clinical psychology over a masters in counseling and do you get licensed during a phd program anyways?Second, which is the better way to go - masters in general psychology/ clinical psych or masters in clinical mental health counseling. Thanks! Also- has anyone gone to these programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically my two questions are is it worth getting a phd in clinical psychology over a masters in counseling and do you get licensed during a phd program anyways?

In my experience, it is not typically to meet MA level licensure requirements along the way to a clinical Ph.D. Course sequences and clinical experience opportunities are generally geared towards preparing you to meet doctoral level licensure standards, which are different than just MA level plus a few more years. Similarly, if you enter a Ph.D. program with a masters, you generally don't enter as a beginning third year student. Though related, the programs are designed differently with different emphasis (often more emphasis on statistics, research, and psychological assessment during the first years of Ph.D. vs. during MA level training).

Regarding whether or not it is "worth it" to get a Ph.D. over a masters, that really depend on things like what it will cost, differences in earning potential, how much you value different job opportunities and experiences, etc. Generally, doctoral level licensed psychologists have a much greater earning potential than MA level licensed counselors, as well as the potential for more varied opportunities and occupational flexibility. This certainly has some "worth." Doctoral training is much more expensive in terms of time, opportunity costs, and-potentially- dollar costs. Depending on things like your age and current earning potential with/without MA level training, the costs may outweigh the benefits.

Second, which is the better way to go - masters in general psychology/ clinical psych or masters in clinical mental health counseling. Thanks! Also- has anyone gone to these programs?

I am not sure of the difference between these types of degrees and how they might impact your chances of admission into a clinical Ph.D. program, but I'm sure others will chime in. Can I ask why you are going the MA route first, rather than entering a doctoral level program directly?

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to get a PhD afterwards and are unable to get in directly, consider the following things as you weigh which masters is correct for your situation.
1. Does it offer you research opportunities that will lead to publications/presentations to strengthen your PhD application
2. As a terminal degree, does it enable you the skills needed to get licensed in case you don't get into a PhD that cycle.
3. Does the program have a strong track record of feeding their students into PhD programs- What types of schools? How many students each year? How many want to go but don't?

These are the factors that are more important than "general experimental psychology" versus "clinically focused psychology".

Some people get licensed during their doctoral work, but most don't. The benefit isn't there.

How much work you transfer in and 'cut off' of your doctoral program will depend greater on your institutions.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to get a PhD afterwards and are unable to get in directly, consider the following things as you weigh which masters is correct for your situation.
1. Does it offer you research opportunities that will lead to publications/presentations to strengthen your PhD application
2. As a terminal degree, does it enable you the skills needed to get licensed in case you don't get into a PhD that cycle.
3. Does the program have a strong track record of feeding their students into PhD programs- What types of schools? How many students each year? How many want to go but don't?

These are the factors that are more important than "general experimental psychology" versus "clinically focused psychology".

Some people get licensed during their doctoral work, but most don't. The benefit isn't there.

How much work you transfer in and 'cut off' of your doctoral program will depend greater on your institutions.

Thank you for your detailed response! I actually tried to get into doctoral programs just did not get in so that's why I am looking at getting a masters instead. I applied to those programs as a back up n

Since your eventual goal is to get into a clinical psychology phd program, I would encourage looking carefully at which one of these programs will help you produce posters and publications that will matter to a phd admissions committee. I got an MS in Clinical Psychology and they explicitly stated on the website and at an open house that they can/will prep you for doctoral level training. I then asked for stats regarding alumni who have applied for and been accepted to doctoral programs before accepting offer. I also spoke with a few of these alumni who had been successful. Therefore, I would look into these things first.

I then made sure I would be able to get licensed...and that was a yes. I looked into this more just because I had been told by some that lots of people do a masters thinking they will surely go onto a phd and realize they do not want to and want to just do therapy. At the school I got my masters from there is my MS program through the psychology department and then there is an M.Ed in Mental Health Counseling through the education department. Both programs lead to LPC but the MS in Clinical has the research component and really emphasizes scientist-practitioner model. The M.Ed does NOT so in my case it was really important to know that difference.

Lastly, my program has two tracks experimental (general psychology with thesis) and clinical. We were told that if we want to go onto a phd program, we should def do experimental (for the research) but I am glad I did clinical because I felt my bases were well-covered. However, people who went experimental also got into clinical programs for what it is worth. This is just my experience but hopefully it helps somewhat

In my experience, it is not typically to meet MA level licensure requirements along the way to a clinical Ph.D. Course sequences and clinical experience opportunities are generally geared towards preparing you to meet doctoral level licensure standards, which are different than just MA level plus a few more years. Similarly, if you enter a Ph.D. program with a masters, you generally don't enter as a beginning third year student. Though related, the programs are designed differently with different emphasis (often more emphasis on statistics, research, and psychological assessment during the first years of Ph.D. vs. during MA level training).

Regarding whether or not it is "worth it" to get a Ph.D. over a masters, that really depend on things like what it will cost, differences in earning potential, how much you value different job opportunities and experiences, etc. Generally, doctoral level licensed psychologists have a much greater earning potential than MA level licensed counselors, as well as the potential for more varied opportunities and occupational flexibility. This certainly has some "worth." Doctoral training is much more expensive in terms of time, opportunity costs, and-potentially- dollar costs. Depending on things like your age and current earning potential with/without MA level training, the costs may outweigh the benefits.

I am not sure of the difference between these types of degrees and how they might impact your chances of admission into a clinical Ph.D. program, but I'm sure others will chime in. Can I ask why you are going the MA route first, rather than entering a doctoral level program directly?
Thank you for your detailed reply! I did try to enter directly into a doctorate program and unfortunately did not get in.

Thank you for your detailed reply!
You're welcome. Though I did not attend a Master in Mental Health Counseling program, I did teach at one. It was very much an applied program geared towards preparing practitioners to be licensed at the MA level. I saw no evidence that the program was preparing students to be more attractive applicants to Ph.D. programs. There were no major research projects, and no real opportunities to participate in faculty research.