General question about admissions to grad school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dave613

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, if anyone can help me on this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Lately, I have become interested in applying to grad programs, and I have called a # of institutions, such as CSHL and rockefeller etc, and they all tell me the following, " the GRE #'s don't play a big factor in your admissions to our schools"

could someone tell me if this is really true? anyone with experience applying with low gre and getting into solid programs?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The consensus among the people I've talked to has been that research experiences are more important than anything. The people with the best GPA/GRE don't always make the best scientists. One or two good publications should trump anything.

dave613 said:
Hey, if anyone can help me on this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Lately, I have become interested in applying to grad programs, and I have called a # of institutions, such as CSHL and rockefeller etc, and they all tell me the following, " the GRE #'s don't play a big factor in your admissions to our schools"

could someone tell me if this is really true? anyone with experience applying with low gre and getting into solid programs?

thanks

GradTX said:
The consensus among the people I've talked to has been that research experiences are more important than anything. The people with the best GPA/GRE don't always make the best scientists. One or two good publications should trump anything.

Thanks, although I can't count on publications by the time i apply. Hopefully soon though.

Members don't see this ad :)
dave613 said:

I don't know if this is true. At least from my experience.

dr.z said:
I don't know if this is true. At least from my experience.
could you give more info about your situation?

thanks

At Michigan, they told me all they cared about was the quantitative and analytical (Essay-writing) scores (but if I'm not mistaken, the analytical section is now the logical reasoning section). My GRE score wasn't a huge factor, they said. Research is the most important aspect. Your interview is just to make sure you understand the fundamentals of what you've done and are able to communicate that to other non-experts. Lastly, they want to make sure you're not a dud in person.