General question about GPA repair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pancakesyrup

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that AACOMAS forgives grades on retakes, but if I'm trying to recover from a low GPA (in the 2.6-2.9 range), to be competitive for an osteopathic postbac program (in which I'd want a 2.9-3.3+), then in addition to retakes, would it be important to take other upper-level science classes, even though their effect on my GPA would be minimal compared to a few successful retakes?

Members don't see this ad.

TwinsFan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do both. Retakes will move the gpa and the upper levels will show that you can handle tough science courses.

pancakesyrup

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do both. Retakes will move the gpa and the upper levels will show that you can handle tough science courses.

Thanks. In one case, I'm sort of doing both at once. I am taking an advanced-level cell bio course which I haven't taken before, but it will replace the grade I got in a slightly lower-level version of the class. Same content, same textbook, just more in depth.

And AACOMAS confirmed that it would be a legit repeat.

Members don't see this ad :)

Mehd School

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks. In one case, I'm sort of doing both at once. I am taking an advanced-level cell bio course which I haven't taken before, but it will replace the grade I got in a slightly lower-level version of the class. Same content, same textbook, just more in depth.

And AACOMAS confirmed that it would be a legit repeat.

Excellent.

I'm in GPA repair mode as well. Sucks to be digging myself out of a hole, but that's what I get for being a lazy teenager when I wasn't sure what I want to do.

I'm taking 17 hours this semester of all science courses. Taking some upper level courses such as Biochem and Human Anatomy as well as retaking gen chem 1 (replacing a C).

It's quite laughable being in gen chem 1 considering I already have a minor in chemistry and have done quite well in later courses (save for Orgo 2). :laugh:

I had a 3.25 both c and s gpa when I filled out AACOMAS this year. If everything goes perfect I will have a 3.45 c and 3.55 s next year, which I'm confident will give me a couple of acceptances if I get my MCAT where it should be.

Keep truckin' man. You can do it if you really want to. :thumbup:

rzoo14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Excellent.

I'm in GPA repair mode as well. Sucks to be digging myself out of a hole, but that's what I get for being a lazy teenager when I wasn't sure what I want to do.

I'm taking 17 hours this semester of all science courses. Taking some upper level courses such as Biochem and Human Anatomy as well as retaking gen chem 1 (replacing a C).

It's quite laughable being in gen chem 1 considering I already have a minor in chemistry and have done quite well in later courses (save for Orgo 2). :laugh:

I had a 3.25 both c and s gpa when I filled out AACOMAS this year. If everything goes perfect I will have a 3.45 c and 3.55 s next year, which I'm confident will give me a couple of acceptances if I get my MCAT where it should be.

Keep truckin' man. You can do it if you really want to. :thumbup:

Very nice! You should be solid with a 3.45c/3.55s. Good luck!

To OP, do both. Good luck!

I'm also on the GPA repair track. Applying next cycle. The only thing I don't like about the retakes is that TCOM uses TMDSAS and no grade forgiveness there. So I'm leaning more towards upper level bio courses than retakes.