General question: what field currently has the better job market FM or IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfootisreal

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just trying to spur up some conversation. I would love it if some current residents and attendings might chime in!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just trying to spur up some conversation. I would love it if some current residents and attendings might chime in!

I have only taken part in the FM job search, but let’s just say it’s wide open. I can get a job anywhere I want right now.

Primary care always has a great job market because everyone needs good primary care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who’s stronger, Goku or Superman?

^^So I was just asking another impossible to answer question... but if this turning into a “match the anime to the medical specialty” thread then it might be my favorite one ever.

Reactions: 4 users
I think Serial Experimental Lain would fit radiology with its tech-heavy nature. Neon Genesis Evangelian would be more psych, what with it’s “too deep for you” thing it has going on. Sailor moon or any of the “magic girl” shows would be OB/GYN, Naruto/One Piece/DBZ etc would be Internal medicine because they’re “mainstream”.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Who’s stronger, Goku or Superman?
Saitama obviously, but I can't think of a good specialty for him. It would probably be a lower paying one that isn't glamorous.

Broly can be ortho?

To answer the OP though, my student mind can't imagine that setting up your own practice as FP or IM for primary care would be significantly different in terms of available opportunities. Even if you don't want to set up your own practice, I'd imagine that you would be fairly in demand.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I think Serial Experimental Lain would fit radiology with its tech-heavy. Neon Genesis Evangelian would be more psych, what with it’s “too deep for you” thing it has going on. Sailor moon or any of the “magic girl” shows would be OB/GYN, Naruto/One Piece/DBZ etc would be Internal medicine because they’re “mainstream”.
I think sailor moon is too good for obgyn. I think it should be Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Something you think is gonna be fun and have some adorable moments. But instead it’s super dark and every day your like “Yo that was messed up.”

Peds could be Bananya. Bunch of weird nonsense that’s definitely from another planet but is kinda cute and doesn’t matter.

• Haha
I think sailor moon is too good for obgyn. I think it should be Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Something you think is gonna be fun and have some adorable moments. But instead it’s super dark and every day your like “Yo that was messed up.”

Peds could be Bananya. Bunch of weird nonsense that’s definitely from another planet but is kinda cute and doesn’t matter.

I actually thought about making OB Madoka, but IMO that’s too good of a show. Like it’s dark, but it’s GOOD. Maybe a generic harem would be better :laugh:

The one I’m having trouble on is surgery. You can either go the “macho” route with shows like DBZ or Fists of the North Star, you can go with super specialized heroes like the Gundam series, or you could go narcissistic, egotistical antiheroes with God complexes like in Code Gease or Death Note. So many choices.

I actually thought about making OB Madoka, but IMO that’s too good of a show. Like it’s dark, but it’s GOOD. Maybe a generic harem would be better :laugh:

The one I’m having trouble on is surgery. You can either go the “macho” route with shows like DBZ or Fists of the North Star, you can go with super specialized heroes like the Gundam series, or you could go narcissistic, egotistical antiheroes with God complexes like in Code Gease or Death Note. So many choices.
Fist of the North Star: ortho all the way

Gen surgery: Death note

Plastics: Sailor Moon. Hear me out. Every episode involves changing the appearance of of women. One character is a dude who changes into a woman via this process.

not sure what to do with anesthesia though.

I like how both of us believe something is “too good“for OB.

OB is legit terrible. No one can convince me otherwise.

Anesthesiology can either be something dream related like Paprika or boring drivel like Inuyasha

OB is legit terrible. No one can convince me otherwise.

Anesthesiology can either be something dream related like Paprika or boring drivel like Inuyasha
Anesthesia being inuyasha is actually perfect. Because at first gas was extremely cool but I can’t stand how long you wait for anything to happen. Inuyasha was hype when it was first airing but 80 episodes in and nothing’s happened since episode 20-ish.

• Love
Just realized. Gas is Trigun. Think about it.

Constantly getting blamed for disasters you were trying to avoid and all you do is try not to kill anyone.

That’s better.