arigold

10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2007
Status (Visible)
Hi I am currently a second year dental student so I have no idea in which direction I am heading yet. However, I have began thinking about what I would like to do after graduation. My main concern is that my grades are kind of subpar. Could someone please clarify what the major criteria is to be admitted to the various programs? Do they look mostly at class rank? board scores? other ECs? I have also heard that it is easier to get accepted into programs after working for a couple years...is that true? What are your people's advice for me?

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Dentist
Just to make sure you haven't forgotten, you're actually allowed to practice as a dentist after you graduate without specializing. ;) Don't get so hung up on trying to specialize that you never stop to consider whether you actually want to.

arigold

10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2007
Status (Visible)
Oh yea I'm definitely keeping all options open, but it's not only specialty programs I am interested in. I wouldn't mind just doing a general residency for a year somewhere to get my feet wet.

About the Ads

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Dentist
If you're interested in general practice programs, a lot of them aren't nearly as hung up on grades & board scores as most of the specialty programs. Good luck deciding.

taylort

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Status (Visible)

I have also heard that it is easier to get accepted into programs after working for a couple years...is that true?

Endo definitely prefers (or even requires) experienced candidates.

It seems to help with pedo too (but not quiet as necessary).

Good luck.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.