General Surgeon shortage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ttan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a shortage or approaching shortage of medical graduates applying for positions in general surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

i'd say the opposite... on my interview trail one of the PD (small/unknown community program) told me that they got 1000+ applications for 3 categorical positions

Agreed. Last year, only 5 categorical spots went unfilled (and were quickly scooped up in The Scramble) leaving other unmatched applicants to take prelim positions in hopes of securing a categorical spot down the road. Applicants have increased yearly for the past several years. There is NOT a shortage or approaching shortage.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be very interesting to see what this years NRMP match results look like. I was told the same thing everyone else was. MANY applicants this year. I'm sure applicants are told this every year though. Even if it has gone up, the hard part is figuring out whether applicants are applying to more programs (particularly IMGs), or is this just an increase in applicants across the board. In fact if any IMGs are reading this, would someone be so kind as to volunteer how many applications you put out, and the average # is for IMGs? That's the one problem I have with the charting the outcomes publication. It doesn't give data for how many programs applied, only programs ranked. I truly feel for you guys (IMGs) and know its a tough road for everyone, but looking at the data their is no question that you have it much harder. It's something that truly interests me.

While the residents and attendings will probably be able to elucidate better than I, I believe that even though there is not a shortage of people applying to Gen Surg residencies (and perhaps even an increase), there is a shortage or a projected shortage of general surgeons because something like 80% of general surgery residency grads enter fellowship. I have heard that some smaller community surgical practices are offering up to $350,000 a year for general surgeons, at least in Pittsburgh, because they are hard to come by and desperately needed. Feel free, anyone, to correct my inaccuracies.

While the residents and attendings will probably be able to elucidate better than I, I believe that even though there is not a shortage of people applying to Gen Surg residencies (and perhaps even an increase), there is a shortage or a projected shortage of general surgeons because something like 80% of general surgery residency grads enter fellowship. I have heard that some smaller community surgical practices are offering up to $350,000 a year for general surgeons, at least in Pittsburgh, because they are hard to come by and desperately needed. Feel free, anyone, to correct my inaccuracies.

This.

There are plenty of GS residents but around 75% will seek fellowship training -a stable figure for many years now. Thus the shortage of real general surgeons.

During my GS sub-I this past November, I heard one of the chiefs who graduated the previous year, stayed in GS and was offered 350K for a hospital-salaried position. And that wasn't even in a "rural" hospital. Another chief, who moved back to his hometown in rural NM, was offered 400K. This was all hearsay though.

...stayed in GS and was offered 350K for a hospital-salaried position. ...in rural NM, was offered 400K. This was all hearsay though.
No need for "hearsay", do google searches & such.... 300k+ income with 20-60k signing and 20k relocation are not uncommon. My last GSurge offer was 350-400K with a 45K signing. I didn't like the set-up and passed on it... have had plenty of similar offers after that one.

My last GSurge offer was 350-400K with a 45K signing. I didn't like the set-up and passed on it... have had plenty of similar offers after that one.

So was it your last offer or had planty after that one? :) jk

During my GS sub-I this past November, I heard one of the chiefs who graduated the previous year, stayed in GS and was offered 350K for a hospital-salaried position. And that wasn't even in a "rural" hospital. Another chief, who moved back to his hometown in rural NM, was offered 400K. This was all hearsay though.

i wouldn't be surprised by that.....some family medicine attendings make 300 in rural spots