General surgery after prelim surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amankomar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

i have a question. I am an IMG and will start GS preliminary interns position this year. my program has previously taken its prelim interns again at categorical interns. thats what i am hoping for me as well.

it also takes PGY -1 prelims as PGY 2.

now my quesion is after doing PGY 2, can i reapply for a PGY 1 categorical again and do a PGY 1 categorical. no doubt one would definitely would search for PGY 3 spot. but in worst scenario, can one do PGY 1 categorical after PGY 2 prelim surgery

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need to repeat PGY1 year if you are accepted into a PGY2 categorical position.

True...if you are offered a PGY-2 position, you do not need to do a categorical PGY-1 year. Your Prelim PGY-1 year should suffice.

Unless that's all that he was offered. Unfortunately, that has been the case where a resident has done 1 or 2 or in some cases 3 Prelim years and was only offered a categorical intern position. And it may be preferable to take a PGY-1 categorical position over a PGY-2 Prelim position and most would do so.

Therefore, it IS possible, although obviously not desirable to restart as an intern. The drawback is that you obviously spend more time in residency but if it gets you to where you want to be, it may be worth it to repeat a year (not sure whether repeating more than 1 year is worth it).

Members don't see this ad :)
does this mean that u can apply for a cat. surgery position after having completed a prelim.program?
would an IMG , who didnt have any US expierence boost his chances to get into a cat surgery position after the prelim.year ?

does this mean that u can apply for a cat. surgery position after having completed a prelim.program?

Yes.

To maximize your chances, you will want to apply for categorical PGY-1 positions in the match (which means repeating your intern year) and look for a PGY-2 categorical position outside of the match.

A PGY-2 categorical position does not require that you have completed a PGY-1 as a CATEGORICAL resident. As long as your PGY-1 year was in general surgery, you are eligible for a categorical position.

would an IMG , who didnt have any US expierence boost his chances to get into a cat surgery position after the prelim.year ?

Certainly. Its the only way in most cases to increase your chances, although a hard road to hoe.