General Surgery Residency in France

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackal143

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,

I want your opinion regarding general surgery residency in France, I have the

opportunity to specialize in France. I dont know should I go or wait for Canada

which will take longer time to get there?

how is the programe there ? is it well structured like in Canada and the States ?

Do I have to study in French ? I'm able to communicate in French with

patients but its difficult for me to study and be examined again in French ?

specially because I graduated from an english speaking college.

Anyone can help ?

Members don't see this ad.

Regarding the language, yes you should have a very decent command of French (and you do have to take the required proficiency language exam to show your command of the language). Once that's over, you then have to go through the competitive process of applying for a residency or apprenticheship and if you get in, then good for you.

During your residency, you will obviously be communicating with the patients on a very regular process which makes language even more an important factor. There are tons of universities in France, that offer certain courses up to an advanced level along with medical french courses (offered by the medical universities as well as certain organizations). Getting a residency in Canada (a competitive one) is uber-competitive....so if you get in, you have my wishes :)

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply,

I already got a place in France for next year. I'm applying to Canada this summer and if I didnt get accepted in Canada should I wait for another year and apply again or go to France ? this is what I'm not sure about.

I heard from one of my friends who studies in lion that they only use their french when communicating with patients otherwise lectures and studying material all in english.

Is France as good as Canada and well recognized world wide?

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to be a permanent resident of Canada or Canadian citizen to apply for a residency in Canada.

You should probably go to France and apply to Canada at the same time (if you meet the requirements). Nothing looks worse than a year doing nothing.

I imagine you sat the ECN? Congrats.

MSHell,

I didnt set any exams, the Kuwaiti governemt made an agreement with countries like France, Canada, The States and Germany. The government is trying to improve the quality of medicine in Kuwait, they have been working on this for long time now, but still we are in shortage, we need doctors in all specialities thats why they are paying for our education in those countries.

The agreement states that we work and take the fellowship from these countries and we set their exams but they pay us nothing (unpaid job) instead our government pays everything, the teaching fees, our salaries and residency. Thats why we are excluded from any exams.

The problem is that in Canada and the states alot of competition going on, doctors from few years ahead of me still waiting and I'm an intern, yes I have good CV and good grades from RCSI but still they have more experience than me in the field cause they've been waiting now for maybe 3 years.

I have the choice to go to France, but I dont know, should I go or wait for another year in Kuwait in the general surgery department and apply again to Canada, I dont know what im going to do ?!

France has one of the best health-care systems in the world and yes it's medical diplomas (undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate) are well-recognized. You will definitely love it there and besides you can also get some benefit in Canada if you go through the French route. But I'm not sure. I wouldn't really recommend that you wait a whole year just to go to Canada (because it might just get worse in terms of competition)....

Good luck!

I understand now. I know McGill has a Middle Eastern quota for certain specialties. You're probably referring to that (or something similar in other canadian universities, if they have).

However, I don't think specialty training in France or Canada, under your circumstances, allows you to practice in those countries once your training is finished. Since your government is paying, I assume you will have to work in your home country to "pay back".

There is not much difference between France and Canada in terms of competencies gained. Yes the structure and length may be different (not much though), but waiting for a place in Canada is probably not the best idea. France is an excellent place. Since your government is paying, what do they have to say about waiting more time before having a qualified doctor ready to practice?

Thanks for the reply,

I already got a place in France for next year. I'm applying to Canada this summer and if I didnt get accepted in Canada should I wait for another year and apply again or go to France ? this is what I'm not sure about.

I heard from one of my friends who studies in lion that they only use their french when communicating with patients otherwise lectures and studying material all in english.

Is France as good as Canada and well recognized world wide?
can you please tell me how to get my training in France? i graduated from iraq but i'm not iraqi. i'm from jordan. what should i do? how can i contact hospitals over there to get enrolled in a residency program? are there any tests that i need to pass? how do i get all the details? are jobs there paid or not? please help me out.