SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

General surgery training requirements

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by triathlete411, Apr 10, 2007.

1. triathlete411

triathlete411 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Do the final two years of a five year general surgery residency have to be consecutive? i.e., If I wanted to do a research year or a critical care fellowship between 4th and 5th year of my general surgery residency, could I?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Tigger14

Tigger14 Ready to move 7+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2002
    I don't know about critical care between pg4 and pg5, but the last two clinical years have to be at the same program.

4. Pilot Doc

Pilot Doc SDN Angel Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2002

Call the ABS and ask.

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    I would ask ABS. Its not listed as a requirement on their website, but better safe than sorry.

I might add that doing research/fellowship between 3rd and 4th years might be easier for most programs to handle (ie, who will be covering your absence between 4th and 5th year?).

6. Dr. Z

Dr. Z New Member

May 27, 2004
    I have always been under the impression that you have to do the last two years of general surgery training consecutively. But, I looked on both the ACGME website for the RRC for general surgery and the American Board of Surgery website and I did not find anything about it. The closest requirement that I found was this one:

“Have spent the final two residency years in the
    same program, unless prior approval for a different
    arrangement has been granted by the ABS.
    Residents who will complete their residency train-
    ing in the 2007-2008 academic year or thereafter
    must satisfy the above requirements at no more
    than three residency programs overall. Credit for
    training that occurred outside the United States and
    Canada is not included in this limit, as any such
    credit is awarded on an individualized basis. “

Here is the link for a pdf document that has the detailed requirements for general surgery training from the RRC http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/downloads/RRC_progReq/440pr1105.pdf

Here is the link for the pdf for the requirements of the American Board of Surgery.
    http://home.absurgery.org/xfer/BookletofInfo-Surgery.pdf

All things considered, I would think about asking the program director or the chairman of your program…they should know.