general surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anemia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is a better field to go into surgical wise? Surgical oncology, laproscopic surgery, or colo-rectal. I know lap is hot right now but I think most people coming out of residency should be competent at this already. Surgical oncology is to academic, and colo-rectal has the issue of turf wars with GI
People keep saying general surgery is dead but these other fields seem to have problems to. Just wanted to know what some opinions are? What is the most popular fellowship after residency in general surgery? Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

This is an interesting question that a few of us residents were talking about the other day. We couldn't fathom lengthening our residency by another year to do more of what we've done in general surgery residency.

What does a colorectal surgeon do that a general surgeon doesn't? Maybe more APRs, more inflammatory bowel disease (and they can have that), and more J-pouchs.

What does a "laparoscopic" surgeon do that a general surgeon doesn't? Nothing. Our general surgeons do bariatric, nissen's, heller myotomies, nephrectomies, adrenals, appys, choles, and colons without ever having done a fellowship.

What does a surgical oncologist do that a general surgeon doesn't? Surgical wise, nothing. But these guys are probably a little more involved in the chemo/radiation aspect of things and doing a little more research.

So what's the answer? After talking to some staff who did these fellowships, I think the answer may be that they would like to funnel their practice into one area. This keeps them sharp on that single area and helps avoid consults in other areas of general surgery that they may not want to do. The problem is that sooner or later, you have to take general surgery call and revert back to performing the other cases.

General surgery is definitely not dead by any means. Jobs are abundant. Smaller communities (<70,000 or so) are dying for you to practice with them. In larger academic arenas, classic general surgery is definitely more of a rarity.

I have no idea what the most popular fellowships are. I would definitely say that anything that improves your lifestyle seems to be popular (i.e. Plastic surgery, laparoscopic, etc.) Critical care also seems be getting some notoriety for its lifestyle post fellowship.

What kind of life style do critical care surgeons have?

Members don't see this ad :)
Docgeorge said:
What kind of life style do critical care surgeons have?

Pretty rough for the most part. Most take in house call as an attending, and are woken up regularly. Definately a labor of love.

uhm... most of the CC attendings I have seen take at home call that is both at major institutions and at smaller ones. And depending on the resident in the unit and the Senior resident in house are usually infrequently awakened.

how about cardiothoracic? :thumbup: ?

SigPi said:
how about cardiothoracic? :thumbup: ?

are you serious? ct is perhaps the worst lifestyle imagineable.

aboo-ali-sina said:
uhm... most of the CC attendings I have seen take at home call that is both at major institutions and at smaller ones. And depending on the resident in the unit and the Senior resident in house are usually infrequently awakened.

I usually think of trauma and critical care as part of the same package, since only the trauma attendings at my institution claim to be CC surgeons. I imagine that critical care would be as above if it weren't covered by the trauma service.