General Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esth0001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard would it be to match into categorial gen surgery residency from a carb med school If you have very high board scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Regardless of board score (which will likely get you interviews), it will be difficult to land a categorical spot. I think like 85%+ of the categorical spots were US grads....maybe even higher. The best advice I have for you is to call programs you are interested in and find out if they hire FMGs (some places won't, so at least then you won't waste money on any of these programs; some places will interview FMGs but may not have ever had one in their program, which also decreases your chance at that program), and apply to programs that currently have in their program categorical FMG residents---these are the programs that are most likely to take you.

Also, consider applying to preliminary surgery spots. If you do well your intern year, you might land a categorical spot at the same program for the following year OR you might get to fill a vacant spot in the program if a categorical quits. Also, you might get great recommendations to help you get a spot elsewhere. Some programs have a reasonable history of hiring prelims into their program, so consider these programs as well to keep your options open.

i know some great FMGs at some really good community or smaller university hospitals. not sure what role scores, per se, have. or other experiences/skills.

or whether it matters which school/country you come from (i.e. canada/uk vs caribbean vs elsewhere), but there are good spots out there.

let me know if you want specific suggestions.