General Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psi1467

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hypothetically, let's say that I did a general surgery residency. And after the five years I decided I was really interested in Orthopedics. In order to continue on with Orthopedics would I have to start from the beginning again (even with 5 years surgical training)? Or could I somehow treat it similar to a fellowship and spend ~3 years at a program? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the program. However, since the vast majority of rotations after PGY1 are centered around Ortho as opposed to the General Surgery specialties, I think it more likely that you *might* be given credit for PGY1 but would have to essentially repeat most of an Ortho residency if you choose to switch.

Hope this helps.

I have no official verification for this, but I was told that starting in 2003 the AAOS will require all those seeking board certification to do a catagorical ortho surgery internship. If this is true, all of the programs will shift their requirements because they will want to ensure board eligability for all residents