general thoracic surgery (non-cardiac)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dupree

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any fellowships that you can do right after a GS residency that are just general thoracic surgery (no cardiac)? Obviously cardiothoracic surgery fellowships involve both cardiac and thoracic training. And from what I gather general thoracic surgeons have done a standard cardiothoracic fellowship and then have sub-specialized in general thoracic surgery. But I'm wondering if there is anything like a general thoracic fellowship that you can do straight after GS residency where you don't have to do the cardiac aspects.

Members don't see this ad.

Dupree said:
Are there any fellowships that you can do right after a GS residency that are just general thoracic surgery (no cardiac)? QUOTE]

Yes.

UPenn has divided the ct training into separate cardiac and thoracic fellowships.

I am sure that there are others, and others are likely to follow.

Dupree said:
Are there any fellowships that are just general thoracic surgery (no cardiac)?

A few other CT programs offer thoracic tracks. Add Wash U to the list, and - I think - MGH, MSK, (new) UVa. Another option is a pure non-cardiac thoracic fellowship abroad (UK, canada, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Non cardiac thoracic fellowships exist. Most are just one year while some are two years. UPenn is now offering a cardiothoracic fellowship that is actually 14 months of thoracic and only 10 months of cardiac. USC has an excellent one year thoracic fellowship where you mostly concentrate on esophagus and some pulmonary.

Although I think these are superb fellowships and an awesome opportunity, the big downfall is that you can not become board certified as a thoracic surgeons with just the one year of fellowship. So really, you're still a general surgeon with a little extra training. This is great if you're going to practice in a mid size city where the general surgeons have broad scopes of practice. The problem is that if you're going to do esophagectomies, you usually have to live in a metropolitan area, and these are the board certified cardiothoracic surgeons' domain in many regions of the country.

On the same note, does anyone know where to find a list or know of thoracic programs that are only one year to beef up your general thoracics skills (i.e. esophagectomy, lung ca/mediastinoscopy,etc.). Most of the programs we've mentioned are at least 2 years with a general thoracic track. I'm not sure how much cardiac some of us want to practice.

thanks

its true- many of the 1 year non-cardiac thoracic fellowships are non-accredited. This is expected to change very soon, however.

What are the most common procedures performed by a general thoracic (non-cardiac) surgeon?

Dupree said:
What are the most common procedures performed by a general thoracic (non-cardiac) surgeon?

VATS, lobectomies, pneumonectomies (inc. lung volume reduction surgery), mediastinal primary and metastatic tumors, esophagectomies, esophageal stenting, hiatal hernia repair, diaphragmatic hernia repair, chest wall reconstruction (ie, Pectuses), etc.