Generic Famotidine (Pepcid AC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew if Wal-Mart or another retail store sells a generic form of Pepcid AC (Famotidine) in a 20 mg dosage.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't seen any at Wal-mart. It was approved in 1986 so does that mean the patents up 20 years after that? If that's so then it's not going to be out until 2006. Anyone know when the patents up or if it's already up??

~Pam

RLK said:
I was wondering if anyone knew if Wal-Mart or another retail store sells a generic form of Pepcid AC (Famotidine) in a 20 mg dosage.

Yup, only the 10 mg form is available OTC. (just take 2 of those if you want 20mg).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we have it in 20 and 40 mg too, but I don't know if that's OC. And we don't sell to the public

RLK said:

I am pretty sure we have Famotidine 20mg. I could be wrong though. I will check tomorrow and see if we have it in that milligram and see what manufacturer it is.

I take prevacid, but that is so expensive. I try to only take that if I really need it. Right now I have no insurance so it costs me $143 dollars for a 30 day supply. I wish there was a generic form of that stuff too.

I have it in my store, don't remember which manufacturer, but I have defintely seen it before.

Try prilosec otc. Also a proton pump inhibitor like prevacid. But just a different manufacturer. However it is more expensive than generic pepcid. If this is a med that you require on an ongoing basis you should consult an MD.

Ok, let me sort this out for all of you...since some of you seem to be gettign confused between OTC and Rx drugs...

Pepcid AC isthe OTC form, only available in 10 mg strength
Zantac OTC is available in 75 mg strength.
Tagamet OTC is 200 mg

Any of the higher dosage strengths are available thru a Rx only (are legend drugs).

For the PPIs
Prilosec OTC is the only one available OTC.

I believe the poster was trying to find out what is available OTC for GERD, given he stated that he has to pay a lot for Prevacid and has no insurance.
My recommendation would be for him to try the Prilosec OTC, I think it's around $25 for a 30 days supply....much cheaper than the Rx with no insurance and since he is already taking a PPI, he shoudl probably stick with that.

Prilosec works very very well and it's saved lots of people money as it was over $100 for a 1 month supply as well. I'd talk to my Dr. if I were you.

Thanks! I learned that trying to get insurance is very hard if you have to tell the insurance company that you take a drug for acid reflux. I would like to completely get off the prevacid, then maybe I would be able to get some insurance at least. I was never actually diagnosed with acid reflux, but since I have the symptoms of someone who has it my doctor prescribed it to me. I really didn't want the scope done - where they put a scope down your throat. That would just freak me out a little too much. But it may be good though that I wasn't diagnosed with that disease anyway because if I stopped taking an Rx for it I wouldn't really have to mention it.