Generic letter from big name or sincere letter from lesser known?

metview

7+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2013
    What is everyone's opinion on a generic letter from a big name vs a personal letter from a junior faculty/lesser known individual? I find it hard to believe that big names (ie. chairman) will go out of their way to write a personal letter when they literally get asked from every single rotating medical student to write a letter.

Phantom1

5+ Year Member
    Mar 29, 2015
    1. Attending Physician
      What is everyone's opinion on a generic letter from a big name vs a personal letter from a junior faculty/lesser known individual? I find it hard to believe that big names (ie. chairman) will go out of their way to write a personal letter when they literally get asked from every single rotating medical student to write a letter.

I think a sincere and personal letter from a reasonably well known faculty is better than a form letter from a top chairman... that being said since you submit multiple letters its definitly good to have a very well known name as 1 or 2 of those.. so you can balance it out..

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.