Technology Generic PnP Monitor - Standard VGA Graphics Adapter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I recently installed a fresh OS (Win 7 64 bit) on my HP Pavilion dv7. I installed all of the updates (via windows update) and obvious drivers (via HP's website). Everything seems to be working fine except for my Acer s231hl accessory monitor.

When I navigate to the 'display settings' screen and click 'detect' external display nothing shows up. In the device manager, under 'monitor' all I see is 'generic PnP monitor'. Under 'display adapters' I see 'standard VGA graphics adapter'.

So, I figure the I must be missing the graphics driver or the Acer driver (or both). I tried simply using the automatic update driver feature in the device manager with no luck (it says: you have the best driver for your hardware or some such). Next, I tried to manually download both drivers from their respective manufacturers' websites but that didn't seem to help.

Am I doing something wrong? Or am I way off? Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Who makes your video card, Intel, AMD/ATI or NVidia?

Who makes your video card, AMD/ATI or NVidia?

Unfortunately, all that shows up in the 'system information' screen via the control panel is that 'standard VGA graphics adapter' message. According to HP's website it's probably an NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS (or 9600M).

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, all that shows up in the 'system information' screen via the control panel is that 'standard VGA graphics adapter' message. According to HP's website it's probably an NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS (or 9600M).
Download and install this, that should take care of it:

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/39066

If it's an HDMI connection to your Acer monitor and it has speakers built into it you will also most likely have to update your audio & HDMI drivers as well to get sound output. If you tell me what your sound card is I can give you a link to that as well.

Hmm, no luck. It says 'the graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.'
Go into the device manager, locate the VGA adapter, right click on it and then left click "Uninstall" from that submenu. Once it completes run the installer again.

If it still says no compatible hardware I need you to reboot, let windows re-install the vga adapter, then go back into device manager double left click the vga adapter entry, go to the details tab, click the list box under Property and select Hardware IDs, right click on the first entry, left click copy from the submenu and then paste that info into a new post in this thread.