Genetics/Biochem and full courseload before MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LHe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been reading through the threads and they have all been very helpful, but I must ask now for some advice, as far as my schedule next semester and when to take the MCAT.

I was planning on taking the MCAT in the spring of 2013 since I am a junior, however would it be a good idea to take Genetics and/or Biochem. next semester to prepare?
I have heard these classes are helpful and I would like to be as prepared as I can be. I have heard Biochemistry is more helpful and recommended by many med. schools however the biochem. professor for next semester is horrible, whereas an excellent genetics professor is teaching.

I am currently an English major so if I took either Genetics or Biochem. I was planning on taking it with 2 English classes along with Sociology (a total of 15 credits).

Would this be too much to take while also studying for the MCAT?
I also volunteer once a week at the hospital, I am in a sorority... and I plan on doing research next semester.

And if I took this courseload - my finals end at the end of April so I was thinking about signing up for the MCAT at the end of May to give me an extra month of review...
I don't know if this would be too late or not? however I don't want to be studying for the MCAT at the same time I have my finals.
Sorry I know this was pretty long, but any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think that's a really heavy schedule to prepare for the mcat, and I would advise against doing that.

This depends on when you are planning to apply, but if I were you I would write the mcat in the summer or fall of 2013. Give yourself 3-4 months to study for it and take it either in August or Sept. and apply in the summer of 2014.

I'm not sure of your background in science courses, but if I were you I'd take biochem next semester.