1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Genetics Books

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bebe2, Apr 30, 2002.

1. bebe2

bebe2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a great beginner/medschool prep genetics book. I did not take genetics as an undergrad and feel I should, at least glaze over a book or 2 on the subject before I start medschool in August.

Any recommendations on a clear, concise genetics text/review book?

Thanks Guys

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vyc

vyc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

****, i can't remember the name of my genetics books...

it was almost completely white and had like a fruitfly or something on the cover?

i want to say it was by Griffiths...?

anyway, it was decent.

4. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by vyc:
    <strong>****, i can't remember the name of my genetics books...

it was almost completely white and had like a fruitfly or something on the cover?

i want to say it was by Griffiths...?

anyway, it was decent.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had the same one I think--called Genetics:From Genes to Genomes. I bought the solution guide and it helped me greatly, although there were several mistakes in it. But the book I'm referring to is a big textbook--not very concise.

Maybe go to a bookstore and see what they have--like Genetics for dummies? Or maybe a board review book that focuses on genteics? I dunno

So most people don't take genteics? In my school, the core Bio classes for the major and for premeds are Cell Bio and Genetics---does that mean I took upper-lever Bio classes and I don't have to worry that much, or do most people take these classes to fulfill the premed req.s?

5. bebe2

bebe2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think Genetics is upper-bio. At least for those who are non-bio/pre-med majors. But it can vary greatly for each school. At my school Biochem and cell Bio were the intro bio courses pre-meds could take. Last year, Hopkins decided to add an Intro to Biology course. Of course, I was a senior then and couldn't take it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestions by the way!!!!!!

bebe

6. Taty

Taty Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In my school u have to take GENETIC after u had taken BIO I and II