Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Genetics Books

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bebe2, Apr 30, 2002.

1. bebe2

bebe2 Senior Member

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a great beginner/medschool prep genetics book. I did not take genetics as an undergrad and feel I should, at least glaze over a book or 2 on the subject before I start medschool in August.

Any recommendations on a clear, concise genetics text/review book?

Thanks Guys

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vyc

vyc Senior Member

****, i can't remember the name of my genetics books...

it was almost completely white and had like a fruitfly or something on the cover?

i want to say it was by Griffiths...?

anyway, it was decent.

4. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by vyc:
    <strong>****, i can't remember the name of my genetics books...

it was almost completely white and had like a fruitfly or something on the cover?

i want to say it was by Griffiths...?

anyway, it was decent.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had the same one I think--called Genetics:From Genes to Genomes. I bought the solution guide and it helped me greatly, although there were several mistakes in it. But the book I'm referring to is a big textbook--not very concise.

Maybe go to a bookstore and see what they have--like Genetics for dummies? Or maybe a board review book that focuses on genteics? I dunno

So most people don't take genteics? In my school, the core Bio classes for the major and for premeds are Cell Bio and Genetics---does that mean I took upper-lever Bio classes and I don't have to worry that much, or do most people take these classes to fulfill the premed req.s?

5. bebe2

bebe2 Senior Member

I think Genetics is upper-bio. At least for those who are non-bio/pre-med majors. But it can vary greatly for each school. At my school Biochem and cell Bio were the intro bio courses pre-meds could take. Last year, Hopkins decided to add an Intro to Biology course. Of course, I was a senior then and couldn't take it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestions by the way!!!!!!

bebe

6. Taty

Taty Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In my school u have to take GENETIC after u had taken BIO I and II