Genetics for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jv00927

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to have a light course load my senior year. Genetics in our school is really challenging and might be a GPA killer for me. I'm wondering how important in med school is having taken genetics during undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wanting to have a light course load my senior year. Genetics in our school is really challenging and might be a GPA killer for me. I'm wondering how important in med school is having taken genetics during undergrad.

A course that covers basic genetics (like a Bio 101) is all you really need for med school.

although genetics is really hard (i got a B-), the material(except for plant and yeast stuff) is very interesting.

just a hint: make sure you memorize all those XXX, XO, XYY, etc and what they mean in terms of sex, diseases, etc. Had I memorized all this stuff, my grade would have been much higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
although genetics is really hard (i got a B-), the material(except for plant and yeast stuff) is very interesting.

just a hint: make sure you memorize all those XXX, XO, XYY, etc and what they mean in terms of sex, diseases, etc. Had I memorized all this stuff, my grade would have been much higher.

Don't forget Klienfelters (XXY) ;)

It'll help in Medical Genetics, Biochem, and Microbiology, but not tremendously. If it's the only "tough" class you're considering taking final semester, I'd say it go for it. All your grades are turned into the schools by that time anyway. Unless you fail it or for some reason have to apply again next year, no one will see the grade or care.

Genetics would be helpful to have though for writing the MCAT.