Genetics for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hurricane95

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanted a few of your opinions on this one. I am currently a senior and completing my secondaries, hopefully to get in for next year. I have a slot open my last semester and was considering taking genetics. I already took cell bio, physiology, biochem and most of the other major classes, but not genetics. How helpful would genetics be, not for the mcat, but for medical school itself? I know many students start med school with a genetics background from general biology and thats it, but how intense is the genetics module in most MS1 programs?

Should I take the class, or just take fewer credits and enjoy my last undergrad semester? :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Hurricane95 said:
Hey guys,

Just wanted a few of your opinions on this one. I am currently a senior and completing my secondaries, hopefully to get in for next year. I have a slot open my last semester and was considering taking genetics. I already took cell bio, physiology, biochem and most of the other major classes, but not genetics. How helpful would genetics be, not for the mcat, but for medical school itself? I know many students start med school with a genetics background from general biology and thats it, but how intense is the genetics module in most MS1 programs?

Should I take the class, or just take fewer credits and enjoy my last undergrad semester? :cool:
I, for one, think it would be really helpful. A basic understanding of genetics goes a long way, and I'm sure that it will help when memorizing genetic disorders in med school. I chose to take both intro genetics and molecular genetics while in undergrad, and I'm really glad I did (although I won't say the classes were enjoyable).

Yes, you should take genetics. Many, many diseases have a genetic component to them, and they're discovering more genetic links to disease every day. Now, I majored in genetics as an undergrad, and probably want to specialize in the field in the future, so I'm a bit biased. . .however, any doctor would benefit from knowing more about genetics. If you take an intro course now, your genetics class as an MS1 will go a lot smoother, and you will retain more info.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take it - i think more schools are starting to add it as a prereq - i know it was for Nebraska when I applied last year.

My dad, an M.D., and many other physicians I know and talked to about which courses to take have said that I definitely should take genetics for med school. So, take genetics! :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was really leaning towards it (even listed it as a future course on my AMCAS) but I wanted some opinions about my decision. I appreciate the input, and I'll be taking the class next spring. Even with the class, Ill still be at only 14 credits so it shouldnt be too bad of a semester. :thumbup: